Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump not working

1. Back To Top    #1

pump not working

okay a few days ago i made a post asking about water spewing from the pump, well i changed the shaft seal, turned it on. it hummed for a few minutes then went out. can this be fixed or am i in need of a new pump? it no longer comes on.
    24' x 52' Round AG 11,200 gal., 2 HP pump Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: pump not working

No you don't need a new pump just replace the motor on your pump. You will need to replace the shaft seal again when you replace the motor

3. Back To Top    #3

Does the shaft turn freely?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

UPDATE!! i thought pump was broken. it's NOT... it blew a circuit breaker, so when i found this out, i reset breaker and pump came back on. i noticed that since i changed the shaft seal, the shaft is not spinning. when turned on it humms for a few minutes then blows circuit. it never blew the circuit when it was working. how can i get the shaft to moving again?

5. Back To Top    #5

So are you saying that the shaft will not manually spin when the pump is off?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds like something was not put back together properly and now the shaft will not spin.
    Try to spin the shaft as the pump is installed.
    If it will not, pull the pump apart again and see if you can spin the shaft and impeller by hand.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

no, when i turn it on, it's not spinning, i have it pulled apart right now while i wait for suggestion. i can turn it with my hand, how easily is it supposed to turn?

8. Back To Top    #8

pretty easily.
    Check if the centrifugal switch on the back is stuck or dirty.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

okay while it was apart it turned, started pretty easily with a slight hesitation, then once i put it thru the seal plate and attached the impeller it did not turn, i had to turn it by hand while pump was on then it started turning.

10. Back To Top    #10

changed start capacitor. due to humming and hesitation with starting, but shaft is not turning without my twisting it. please what else can i check.....

11. Back To Top    #11

There are two parts that switch the start circuit in and out. The "V" shaped device on the end of the shaft. It's a set of contacts that should be closed when the pump isn't running and then there is the centrifugal mechanism just under it that opens it when the pump is running. Make sure that the contacts are made when it's stopped and make sure that the mechanism isn't holding them open because it's stuck.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

thanks Bama, i see the "v" shaped device it closes when the pump is turned off, but doesn't initally opens when turned on unless i give it a twist. Is there something that would keep it from opening right away when turned on. sometimes the motor comes right on, while most times i have to give it a twist..

13. Back To Top    #13

The way it works is that once the motor gets up to speed, the centrifugal opens the switch ("V") contacts. If you're sure they're closed and making good contact it should start. You can try filing the contacts with an emory board and making sure it's making good contact. Also check the wires to make sure one is not loose or broken coming from the cap.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

14. Back To Top    #14

the middle wire just broke off, so i'm off to the pool store with the motor.....

15. Back To Top    #15

Better to head to a motor shop with the motor rather than the pool store.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks for the all the help. My husband fixed the wire. But it was still hesitating to.start. so went to the pool store. Explained that the motor starts right up without the impeller. Once i put it on it does not move unless i twist it. They said that the motor was probably shot. Since i was only 3 weeks out of warranty they gave me a new motor....yaaa saved my water, it was turning green....went right to work to clear it up.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm just adding the following as a reminder to provide info even if you don't think it's important.

Quote Originally Posted by juicierthnfruit
    Since i was only 3 weeks out of warranty...
    That would have been good to know from the beginning. If I'd have known that, I'd have suggested giving them a call and see what they'd do. Then you'd have had a new one a week ago.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator