Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Backwash hose, ughh!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Backwash hose, ughh!!

Hi,
    I have an Intex Krystal Klear Sand/Saltwater filter that I've owned for about a year and a half. Recently, I purchased a 2" x 50' plastic backwash hose from In the Swim:
    http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Equipment ... wash-Hose/

...and it does not fit my Intex Sand filter backwash exit. I've tried everything to stretch it, and also puchased many other sizes (2" being the largest) and its not budging!!
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm stuck!
    16K gal., AG, Krystal Clear Salt/Sand Filter Pump 16", 06/2012, Rover vac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Backwash hose, ughh!!

Welcome to tfp, Artfulone

Are you trying strech it up and over the threaded fitting on the sand filter? I would instead use a intex adapter as shown in this post: http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex...on-t62322.html
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

stick the end of the backwash hose in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then you can stretch it. If it's still not close just plumb up a reducer with rubber couplings or something.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

The Intex adapter looks like a good solution. I considered that.

My Intex filter came with new hoses. I took one of my old hoses and cut the flange off one end with my miter saw and removed the gray nut. My backwash hose then fit perfectly over the end and I secured with a hose clamp. The other "stock" end hooks right up to the pump.

I'll post a pic tonight.
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like you came up with a great solution!
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok here's the pic. Just another solution option, as the adapter solution would be good as well if you've got the adapter. Since a new Intex filter should come with hoses you should end up with a couple spares.

I just slid the gray nut back out of the way and cut the flange off. You want to cut it off right up against the back of the flange so it leaves you plenty to slide the hose over and clamp to. I believe it's a 2" backwash hose, been a while since I did it. I did 2 back washes since I made it and no issues.

[attachment=0:m2bjbb4e]photo.JPG[/attachment:m2bjbb4e]
    18'X48" Intex Easy Set, 2650 GPH Intex sand filter, Intex SWCG, Intex deluxe skimmer