Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: slammed pool but keep losing 6 fc

1. Back To Top    #1

slammed pool but keep losing 6 fc

Hi

I am new and slammed the pool as i had some algae (got it up to 84-what a pain), i seem to keep losing 6 FC overnight for the last 3 days and not sure why. Using talyor 2006 kit. I don't want to drain it until the season is over.

FC 9- raised it to 27.5 tonight because of the 6 fc lost everynight
    CYA >100
    TA 140
    CH 900 I have used cal hypo chloride for years- tap water is 150
    ph 7.2

the pool looks better than ever but this 6 fc lost has got me scratching my head and i don't want the algae to come back.

Any ideas as to what to do?
    17,000 gal pebble tech in ground pool no spa, southern ca.- cartridge filters- 1 hp pump single speed, solar heated, 10 years old.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: slammed pool but keep losing 6 fc

Welcome to tfp, alexstjo

As you know, you are not done with the SLAM process until you pass all three criteria simultaneously and you are not passing the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT).

However, before you continue the SLAM process, you need to lower you cya by doing a partial drain/refill. Since you kit is reading >100 and the test does not really test any higher than 100, redo the test but this time use half pool water and half cya free water (tap water is fine for this) and repeat the test. Multiply that result by 2 and that is your cya level. Post that result. Then we can help you with how much drain/refill to do. This will also lower your CH.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

ok just tested and got these results:
    17,000 gal pebble tech inground pool

FC:20 lost another 7!
    CC:2
    Cya: ? 400- the dot disappeared half way between the bottom and 100, so 200 then times 2?? can cya be that high? I used pucks for 10 years! dam it

I drained the pool two years ago. took out 3/4 of 17000 gal. I drained it from the bottom. I had NO change in CYA . Should i of pulled water from the top?

help
    Alex
    17,000 gal pebble tech in ground pool no spa, southern ca.- cartridge filters- 1 hp pump single speed, solar heated, 10 years old.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, after 10 years I can see it being that high. Where you pull the water from does not matter. I don't see you winning the battle with CYA that high.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

so complete drain?? if so i am scared of hurting the pool. I live in southern CA and it is very hot right now.

Any idea why the last drain didn't do a thing??

6. Back To Top    #6

The last drain did do something. It lowered the CYA in direct proportion to the amount of water you replaced. How did you test the CYA 2 years ago? Likely the cya was just really high and for the last 2 years after the drain you have been adding more CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

i tested it right after the drain. Pool store guy said i should of drained it from the top of the pool.

thanks

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by alexstjo
    Pool store guy said i should of drained it from the top of the pool.
    I don't know where they get that!

It doesn't matter where you drain it from. CYA doesn't float or stratify to the top of the water. It's evenly dispersed throughtout the pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Pool store guy may not have a pool and may have never maintained one.

I'm not saying this is true, saying it MAY be true. That is the case for the people at my local store. That's why I haven't set foot in there for 2 years.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

The pool guy doesn't know... I assume the pool guy has been selling you CYA laden pucks to mange your pool and has not said anything about your CYA levels being high. When your CyA is over 100, it is nearly impossible to manage it well without tons of chemicals. How much you need to drain depends on your actual readings. If you have a real 100cya, a 50% drain should be good, if it is closer to 200cya, you will ned to take out closer to 75%.

When you get the cya closer to 50, you will see how much easier it is to manage to pool. I am in Sacramento and I can manage my pool with chlorine and some MA about once a month. Pretty much nothing else.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

also my total dissolved solids is 1500, is that an issue?

12. Back To Top    #12

Not an issue at all. Do you know what your salt level is?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

no what test kit should i get to measure salt? and how often should one do that?

14. Back To Top    #14

You don't need to do that with any regularity unless you have a swg. Just take a sample to a local pool store and have them test it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

First, let me welcome you to TFP
    Quote Originally Posted by alexstjo
    Cya: ? 400- the dot disappeared half way between the bottom and 100, so 200 then times 2?? can cya be that high?
    I hate to say this, but your CYA is actually probably over 400. The test can't work over 100 because of the logarithmic scale it uses (the space between 30-40 is larger than between 40-50, etc.), and that also means that half way between the bottom and 100 is more than 200 most of the time. It could possibly be over 500, in fact I would bet on it.

What does this mean? First it means you haven't actually been able to SLAM, properly SLAMing in your water would require an FC of 90+ and keep it there, probably for days. TDS doesn't really matter, the only two dissolved solids that are way out of whack for you are CYA and CH. By the looks of it, CH makes up most of it.

You can remeasure your CYA by mixing 1/4 pool water with 3/4 tap water, using that to test and multiplying the results by 4, but either way it looks like you will want to replace 90% of your water...
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

16. Back To Top    #16

no swg BUT really thinking about one as we go on vacations and no one to help with the pool. Are they worth the cost?

17. Back To Top    #17

If you go on vacation and have to leave the pool unattended, absolutely. I travel a lot for work, and this was the primary reason I went to salt. Secondary, hauling chlorine for a 44k gallon pool was a pain in the back.

18. Back To Top    #18

what brand should i get of SWG?

also are there some special instructions for pool start up?

19. Back To Top    #19

I don't like to recommend brands, because if you were to have an issue with a specific brand, I wouldn't want you to blame it on me.

Another thing, if you already have any equipment in place that the SWG might be able to communicate with, that might sway your choice.

We can talk about sizing, it will help if you post up your pool's specifics. Even better, add all that to your signature line in your profile so we always know what you have as you ask questions.

As far as start-up, I do not believe there are any special instructions when you are on salt. I never close my pool, so I am not the expert in closing and start-up.

20. Back To Top    #20

Regardless if you get a swg or not, your immediate issue as mentioned above is you need to do a drain/refill.

What type of pool do you have (igp, abg,...vinyl, plaster, fiberglass)?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast