Repair Pump and Motor Cover or Replace Completely?

Mar 6, 2013
Western KY
I have a Hayward Power-Flo II pump with a MagneTek 1081 Pool Pump Duty 1.5HP motor and i have noticed that it appears the shaft seal is leaking. This would not seem like a costly repair to me, but I recently discovered that the motor's foot mounts as well as the bottom of the cover has rusted to the point that the feet have broken apart from the motor cover. The seal leak had not been too bad until yesterday when i tried to run the vacuum. The pump would not stay primed with the vac and hose attached with the filter in waste or filter. I finally gave up and reprimed the lines and started the system back on normal operation. I believe that the pump losing prime made the seal leak worse, and it is now leaking profusely. When assessing this damage, i then realized that the motor cover and foot mounts had rusted heavily to the point that the foot mounts are no longer holding the motor secure to the base. With all this in mind, can and should i try to get new seals AND chase down a replacement motor cover, or should i just buy a new pump and be done with it. My wife and i are actually trying to sell this house so i want to make the most cost effective decision. Thanks for any advice.

I had a similar rust problem with my pump motor a few years back. I was not able to replace just the housing on the motor, and it was not long before the rust had penetrated the housing and fried the motor. Your best bet would be to get an inexpensive replacement pump. Sometimes you can find a decent used pump on Craigslist.

It would probably be easiest to replace the whole pump at once - I'd look for either a new PowerFlo II (3/4 or 1 HP), a pentair Dynamo (also 3/4 - `1 HP) or a similar sized Super Pump / Pentair Superflo. The Dynamo is very similar to your powerflo II and should work fine, and the other two pumps are "inground" pool pumps.

my pump motor sat beneath the skimmer basket. We have salt water and it rusted through the motor housing so bad that when I power washed it and blew the scale off it left huge holes through the steel housing. the other day after letting it dry out good and plugging it in to check if it still ran ..i decided to fiberglass the housing. i wrapped it with hi temp 3m # 69 tape to cover the holes and cavities. I then coated it with resin and laid two more coats of tight mesh fiberglass in opposite directions and added one final coat of resin. this morning i light sanded and shot with flat black paint. its not perfect but now i have a solid shell back over the motor...anyone interested in seeing pics emai me..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.