Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy watercolors light problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy watercolors light problem

Experts:

I have a jandy water color LED light that keeps tripping the breaker. Any idea what is going on, my light is just 3 years old? I have changed the GFI and it still does it.

Please help....the light is expensive!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy watercolors light problem

Does the breaker trip immediately when you turn the light on, or does it hold for a while and then trip?
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes...it trips the breaker immediately the light is turned on.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are comfortable working around electricity, then you will want to test to see if the short is located in the light or in the wiring between the switch and the deck box. After you turn off the circuit breaker for the light and verify that the power is off, open up the deck box and disconnect the black or red wire coming from the switch and the black wire from the light fixture. With a meter, check to see if the wire from the switch is grounded. If the wire from the switch is not shorted to ground, then the problem is in the light fixture. If the light fixture is the problem I would take it out of the niche and bring it up to the deck and open it up to see if there is excessive moisture inside, and repair that problem if it is found.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok..thanks. I will try your suggestion and share my findings.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok, I found out that it is the light fixture. Thanks for your advice. So what is next? how can I get it repaired? Do I open it or what, it seemed sealed? Kindly advise.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not familiar with the Handy LED fixture, but I know the Pentair ones can be dissembled by loosening a clamp on the back. I would start by removing the light from the niche and bringing it up onto the deck so you can take it apart and check for water inside. You will want to replace the gasket on the fixture prior to reinstalling the fixture in the niche. After you have the fixture apart, and presuming it's dry inside, it looks like you should disconnect the wires from the printed circuit board and recheck the black wire of the cord between the deck junction box and the fixture.

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/m.../H0305600.ashx
    This should have instructions to disassemble your light.