Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA absorption rates - and time between adjustments

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA absorption rates - and time between adjustments

I need to bring my CYA up a bit (it was at 30 and I was burning through Chlorine) before you ask - I did SLAM, and passed all three tests - OCLT was <1ppm.

Anyhow, I added some a day ago, and went to re-test and noticed a small improvement. I was in the process of adding more and I put it in a bucket and added water first. Surprise surprise it just sat there.

This was a major epiphany for me. CYA takes several days to dissolve and therefore, you shouldn't keep adding more to get to your target without letting a day or three pass between dosing.

Am I correct in my thought process? (The last thing I want to do is over dose my pool on CYA. Last time I did that I had to drain part of it!)
    18k vinyl IGP, Sand Filter, EasyTouch Control Sys, Pentair Intelliflo, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, Rheem Heat Pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA absorption rates - and time between adjustments

We recommend hanging the CYA in a sock in front of the return jet so you know when it is all dissolved. You should also wait around a week after it is dissolved before you re-test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's good to know, I will sit tight then.
    18k vinyl IGP, Sand Filter, EasyTouch Control Sys, Pentair Intelliflo, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, Rheem Heat Pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

It helps to squeeze the sock every now and then. Walk out with a flashlight at night, turn your pump off and squeeze the sock in still water. You will see the cloud This will give you a visual of what is going on. 5 - 8 day's max.
    BayScoutTim
    ---------------------------------------------------
    :: 28' round Doughboy AG (18,400 gallons) :: Hayward 1-1/2 hp Power-Flo Matrix pump :: Hayward Pro Series 21" top mount high-rate sand filter 65GPM :: Hayward Vari-Flo XL 7-way valve :: AquaBot Breeze 4WD :: TF-100 XL test kit :: SpeedStir magnetic stirrer ::

5. Back To Top    #5

My understanding of things, if I have read Chemgeek's posts correctly is that even once the CYA is dissolved, you still have to wait a few days for it to show on the test as it still must chemically convert in the water to the form the test shows.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    My understanding of things, if I have read Chemgeek's posts correctly is that even once the CYA is dissolved, you still have to wait a few days for it to show on the test as it still must chemically convert in the water to the form the test shows.

I think this is crucial - it would be easy to keep making adjustments thinking that the adjustments are not working.

7. Back To Top    #7

That is why I said wait a week AFTER it is dissolved. Might not need to wait that long though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

OK, I read back through the post. It looks like I said it would take 5-8 day's max to test your water. What I "meant" was 5-8day's for it to dissolve. My bad.

Actually I started this on the 18th, 10 day's ago. It dissolved in about 3-days. My CYA is still CREAPING up . . . . Around 36 now.

Didn't mean to create any confusion just offering my 2-cents as it might help someone.
    BayScoutTim
    ---------------------------------------------------
    :: 28' round Doughboy AG (18,400 gallons) :: Hayward 1-1/2 hp Power-Flo Matrix pump :: Hayward Pro Series 21" top mount high-rate sand filter 65GPM :: Hayward Vari-Flo XL 7-way valve :: AquaBot Breeze 4WD :: TF-100 XL test kit :: SpeedStir magnetic stirrer ::