Need to replace pump - recommendations welcome

RobbieH said:
I still don't understand the full rated and uprated thing. Seems like some marketing garbage.
Just look at the total hp which is the rated hp times the service factor. That is only part of the story though, the other part is the wet end...each pump performance curve is different. In the end the performance curve is what is important regardless of how the hp is named.

CompuPool says they only check for flow, not flow rate. They say their SWGs will run fine at low flow. They said the SWG needs to be shut off if there's no flow, it should not be depended on to shut itself off.

The more I think about all this, and considering we will be doing some major pool renovations before next swim season, I'm starting to think about spending the change on an Intelliflo VF. It will give me the timer I need for now, everything will be new, and it will be compatible with any additions we do in the future. I did read the other thread where someone pulled out a variable flow/speed pump due to his SWG having trouble and his not being able to keep the pool clear, but I've convinced myself I can program the VF to do what I need.

IIRC the other poster was having to run the VS at a higher speed than they were happy with in order to satisfy the swg. There had to be some hydraulic problems in the system to cause that. I think you'll be fine if that's what you decide to do.

I doubt I will have any hydraulic issues. I have an extremely basic system currently. And, we have the opportunity to do everything correctly during the remodel in the future.

I'm considering running the pump 24x7 on a very low speed, then bumping it up for only 2-3 hours to clean the pool. With the potential 3hp, I will be able to add a pressure side cleaner once we have standard return ports. Since I get a lot of leaves, especially in the fall, this is a big thing for us.

Thanks Dave.

I've looked at a bunch of them! :) I can replace just the pump end with a 2 speed with built-in timer. Do you know if the 2EZ has the 110/220 (in my case 220) output for the SWG? The Intelliflo and Centurion I've looked at do not.

Edit: doesn't look like the 2EZ's timer can be configured to run the SWG either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I shopped and shopped, even checked local pool repair places, etc. I had stores tell me the VF was for commercial only. I had bids of $1800 for the VS and $2300 for the VF. I ordered the VF for about $1250 at amazon. I am Prime, so it is coming 2nd day for no shipping. My plumber is going to help me put it in for nothing.

My plan is to set it to turn my pool once a day on a 24/7 run time. I will explain more when I am not on my phone.

You could do what i did with two 5 gallon buckets...I ran my backwash and measured how many full buckets i got in a minute (switching between the two...the buckets are slightly more than 5 gallons, but my approach ended up filling them to about the 5 gallon point). However, my backwash flowrate was only 48 ppm, and I had to really move from bucket to bucket to keep up. Any higher flowrate than that, and I think would have need a second person and a third bucket to do the test.

Good idea!

Well, I just got done installing the new pump and the computer (they call it the drive) is dead. They are next day shipping the new drive, but guess how long that is going to take... Holiday... Hello brush, net, robot, bleach, and until Tuesday.

Might consider a variable speed pump. Great energy savings and very flexible, but flexibility comes with need to tweak run times vs speed to get the chlorine levels and water turn over right. My pool is chlorine but same principles will apply. I posted on a thread a while back about pump energy efficiencies that might be helpful in identifying the pros and cons of a variable speed pump. Here's the link (pool-pump-energy-cost-comparison-t18378.html). I have a friend that is also a nerd :) and he has a 2-speed pump. We discuss this subject fairly frequently, so please feel free to shoot me a message and I will be happy to share our lessons learned if it would help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.