New Pool Plaster and calcium

Aug 12, 2013
We just had our pool replastered with Diamond Brite last week and the calcium level is at 160. I was told not to worry about this right now but I know it should be over 200. What are your thoughts on this and if I should worry about all the readings right now. SO far I have everything right minus the calcium level.

ssuckla said:
We just had our pool replastered with Diamond Brite last week and the calcium level is at 160. I was told not to worry about this right now but I know it should be over 200. What are your thoughts on this and if I should worry about all the readings right now. SO far I have everything right minus the calcium level.
Fresh plaster raises the pH, TA, and CH levels rapidly for the first three or four weeks, and then more slowly for up to a year. So, wait on adjusting.

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Thank you. I wish I would have found this site a long time ago. Oddly I found it doing research on new plaster a month ago. So what should I worry about keeping in check for the first couple of weeks as far as chemicals go?

btw, make sure you follow instructions from the builder because you do not want to do anything to void a warranty.

The main concern will be keeping the pH in the 7's.

More Info:

See Pool School: pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

Here's a link to National Plasterers' Org. Start-up Card: http://www.npconline.org/start-up-card

I hope you have one of the recommended test kits. The fav around here is the TF100. Best bang for the buck and fantastic service. Link in my sig

Thanks I read the first one last week. The second link is very helpful. What he had me do last week was add the conditioner and chlorine to the pool. He said to keep an eye on the chlorine, PH and alkalinity. He said to keep them on the low side. It sounds like according to the second link that you do not get the calcium over 200 for the first month. I have the Leslies FAS-DPD Service test kit I bought a while back. I have been doing it their way since we have had the pool (10 + Years) with mixed results. I am looking to do it this sites way going forward so I might need some help every now and then.

You have one of the recommended kits :goodjob:

I have been doing it their way since we have had the pool (10 + Years) with mixed results. I am looking to do it this sites way going forward so I might need some help every now and then.
Good! Stick with us and you should not have any "mixed results". :wink:
We are here to help when you need us :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.