WFE-4 not pumping

Jun 5, 2009
I'm lost on this, hence the post. :p

Our WhisperFlo 1hp pump had a small amt. of air it was pumping in. Then it failed to pump. It wouldn't prime, even when I garden-hose pressurized the overflow opening.

The impeller was cracked. The diffuser o-ring had pulled out of it's area a bit and was a bit cracked but was in one piece. I replaced those as well as the housing to seal plate teflon(?) seal and the carbon(?) spring-loaded seal.

Still won't pump or prime. I removed the cap at the end of the motor, and verified the motor spins at what seems a healthy speed in the correct rotation.

Today, I thought I'd look for a leak in the over-flow to- pump plumbing. I moved the pump and hooked up an air fitting to (pieces of plumbing) to the suction plumbing. I made glorious bubbles in the overflow basket area, but no leaks are present in the plumbing (I tested with watery soap at joints and at all ball valves and listened too.)

So I guess I need to narrow down whether the pump is the issue still. I'm better at troubleshooting automotive stuff. Do I just set the pump plumbing towards a full 5gal. bucket (I have enough pipe bits and slack in the wiring and for that matter, would probably live through a shock :idea: ) and if it doesn't blow it out the pressure side, I need to troubleshoot the pump more?

It seems quite simple, but I read a lot of good info on here so I wanted to type this out and get a shoulder or 5 to cry and or lean upon. And I could entirely understand problematic pump performance due to cracked impeller and pulled-out diffuser o-ring, but now that I've replaced those, I'm stumped.

Thanks. I'll take any pics to help diagnostics if needed.

I would suggest just leaving the pump hooked up to all the pool equipment.

So the problem is that you have air in the pump basket and nothing is flowing out?

Check the obvious stuff:
Is there a valve closed somewhere?
Are the drain plugs on the pump lubed and tightly closed?
Is the o-ring for the lid clean and lubed?

If the motor is spinning, then it should be moving at least some water unless there is a clog or a massive air leak on the suction side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.