Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pool fill

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool fill

New pool is filling right now. I have my tf-100 on hand. Can I start adding to get my water correct as it fills?
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool fill

You can start adding the CYA anytime you can support the CYA away from the liner. I would add a little chlorine but wait until you get a reasonable about so you don't damage the liner. The other stuff can wait until you are full.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Well you know you will need stabilizer and chlorine. You will not really know what the pH will be until the pool is full to know if it or the TA need adjusting.

So you could try to come up with a way to let the CYA start to dissolve in the water, but you have to ensure it does not sit on the vinyl or it could be faded.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the fast response! Guess I'll wait a bit for stabilizer till I can keep it off the liner. Should be filled by Friday. But I'll try to get some chlorine in there as it fills.

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool is over 1/3 full. Tried out the test kit. Haven't added anything yet.

Fc-0
    Ta-50
    Ch-80
    Ph-7.2
    Cya-0

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by MBG75
    Pool is over 1/3 full. Tried out the test kit. Haven't added anything yet.

Fc-0
    Ta-50
    Ch-80
    Ph-7.2
    Cya-0
    That looks like it's time to begin to add chlorine and CYA as long as you can get them in and mixed.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. Only water movement is from the hose. Been reading other posts. Looks like i can add chlorine and mix with a brush?
    How long should I mix?

What's a safe way to add cya? Water is about 10-12" deep in the shallow end.

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok. Only water movement is from the hose. Been reading other posts. Looks like i can add chlorine and mix with a brush?
    How long should I mix?

What are you using for chlorine? If it is liquid you can pour it right in front of the hose so the current mixes it. Pour slowly, say a pencil sized stream. Liquid CYA can be added the same way. Don't over do the CYA. It won't show up immediately on your test so don't add too much at first.

You don't want granular CYA or Chlorine to sit on your liner. You can premix in a bucket until it dissolves and pour slowly into the deep end. Brush if it isn't all dissolved. I have read where people put it in some sort of "sock" and hung it in the water away from the edges.

If I were you I would wait and see what the pro's say about the granular CYA. I'm trying to lower mine not raise it.
    16,500 gallon, 18" x 38" Grecian; IG Vinyl, Hayward DE

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    You can start adding the CYA anytime you can support the CYA away from the liner. I would add a little chlorine but wait until you get a reasonable about so you don't damage the liner. The other stuff can wait until you are full.
    Same answer... you need some chlorine. If you used a brush after pouring it in front of the hose, that would work.

If you placed the CYA in a sock, tied it to the pole of your broom/vacuum and then placed it so your hose flows thru the sock, that would work.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by DorsalSpine
    How long should I mix?

What are you using for chlorine? If it is liquid you can pour it right in front of the hose so the current mixes it. Pour slowly, say a pencil sized stream. Liquid CYA can be added the same way. Don't over do the CYA. It won't show up immediately on your test so don't add too much at first.

You don't want granular CYA or Chlorine to sit on your liner. You can premix in a bucket until it dissolves and pour slowly into the deep end. Brush if it isn't all dissolved. I have read where people put it in some sort of "sock" and hung it in the water away from the edges.

If I were you I would wait and see what the pro's say about the granular CYA. I'm trying to lower mine not raise it.
    Was just going to ask about using liquid stabilizer.
    Pool has a SWG, but until it is online, I was planning on just using bleach.

11. Back To Top    #11

You could use liquid stabilizer but it is much more expensive for the same stuff as you are making with solid and water.

As for the SWG, treat it as a chlorine only pool until you get fully balanced initially, then move your CYA and then balance again with the SWG and LC untill you get enough SWG output and you are balanced again.
    -- Guy --

12. Back To Top    #12

My new IG pool will be filled next week. I was thinking of not adding CYA but letting it accumulate by using the 3" puck chlorinator - will that take too long to build up the CYA level to the target range?
    -----------
    IG 18x36 polymer walls, vinyl liner, 24K gallons, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 1 HP Super Pump, Hayward Universal H-Series Low NOx Heater 250K BTU Nat Gas, Hayward CL200 Chlorinator, Hayward ColorLogic 4.0 Lighting, Merlin Smartmesh Safety Cover, Binghamton NY area

13. Back To Top    #13

New pool fill

You can find out how much each puck will add at the bottom of the pool calc. Effects of adding chem's. Just stop using them when you get to your target level if that's your plan, which I hope it is !

They'll add it as fast as they dissolve.

calc.html
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

Lil update. Pool is crystal clear.

Fc-7.5
    Ph-7.6
    Ta-80
    Ch-80
    Cya-20

Slammed the pool once it was full. Didn't show any loss on the oclt last night. Gonna recheck tonight/tomorrow.

I have cya in socks by a return. It's been 2 days and about half still in a sock. Kneading it 4-5 times daily. It it normal to take so long to dissolve?
    Trying to get ready to start the SWG

15. Back To Top    #15

I can take a while... the more flow it gets, the faster it will dissolve.
    -- Guy --

16. Back To Top    #16

As will squeezing the sock once in a while.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

17. Back To Top    #17

It'll take awhile to dissolve, but when I'm not running the pump I just throw the CYA still in the sock inside a floater (and squeeze it every once in while, like mentioned above). Though I really like the previously mentioned idea about somehow suspending the sock and allowing the fill water to run over it.
    26K Gallon, IG vinyl
    1.5 HP Hayward Super Pump, DE Filter 36 SqFt
    Older than time TELEDYNE LAARS HEATER (removed from system for now)

18. Back To Top    #18

Cya coming up. Measured 50 tonight.

Tested FC twice tonight, back to back. The numbers were slightly different by 1. Could that be due to the scoop of r-0870 being a little different?

19. Back To Top    #19

No. Amount of powder does not really matter ... as long as you use enough to get a nice pink color.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

20. Back To Top    #20

Maybe it's the water measurement?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast