Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: intex 2650 sand filter running while people in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

intex 2650 sand filter running while people in pool

safe or unsafe?

it's an intex ultra frame. pump is plugged into a gfci outlet.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: intex 2650 sand filter running while people in pool

I certainly run my pump with people in the pool constantly and I think most (many?) others do.

Why do you think it is unsafe?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

i've heard some people say it needs to be bonded and others say it's fine.

4. Back To Top    #4

Since the Intex pumps and pools aren't bonded and they're not double insulated, they aren't supposed to be powered on when anyone is in the pool. I'm sure there lots of people that do it, so you'll have to decide for yourself if you want to accept the risk.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Since the Intex pumps and pools aren't bonded and they're not double insulated, they aren't supposed to be powered on when anyone is in the pool.
    Thanks, bama.

ugafan, sorry for my very misleading post. I never knew what bama just posted but I do now.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I run my Intex pump while the pool is in use. But then, I've been described as being a brick or three shy of a load.......
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

thank you bama.

as a follow up question, what does it mean when a pump is UL listed? the sand filter has a sticker that says it is, but the cartridge one that came with the pool does not.

8. Back To Top    #8

It means that the Underwriters Laboratories have thoroughly tested a production sample and found it meets all applicable safety requirements.

However, it is no longer uncommon for a company to do a short production run just for UL, to get the certification, then cut a few corners on the sales production runs.

Beware, there are a few asian manufacturers that have used what LOOKS like a UL/CE label, but on close inspection, it is not quite the same. These products may or may not have been tested.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

I/we swim in our Intex with the filter/SWG running all the time. Dedicated GFCI at pump and also that circuit is on its own GFCI Breaker.
    14,364gal AGP
    Intex Ultra Frame 16'x32'x52"
    Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System - 2,650 GPH**Nite-Brite Halogen Pool Light
    TF-100 Test Kit (This kit Rocks)

10. Back To Top    #10

I run my intex pump and swg all the time while people are in the pool. They both have built in GFCI in the cords and are plugged into a GFCI outlet, so it is no danger.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

It says right on the side of the pool, to not have the pump running when people are in the pool. Some people may choose to ignore safety labels. It also says not to jump into the pool and that the ground must be level.
    I think that the not running the filter issue is so that a persons hair wont get stuck in the filter intake. I don't think that it could actually happen.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, it is a safety thing to prevent suction injuries, not a problem for me since I use the Hayward skimmer. Also probably not a problem with the new Intex valves with the suction release valve on the shutoff valve.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

We just leave the pump running. I have it plugtged into a gfi plug as well. They only list that on the manual as a statement of limited liability, thats about it. Just a warning the lawyers need to see on such a product. Same with the level, no jumping, etc.

14. Back To Top    #14

we have it running all the time when people are in pool, especially when kids want to play in waterfall fountain. there is no risk of shock. the pump isnt in the pool, its outside it. and its on a GCFI, and its only 110v at 5 amps anyway. it wouldnt have enough current to go through 6400 gallons of water to shock anyone. GCFI would trip it the second it tried anyway. im all about safety, but intex is just being overly cautious on this one, probably due to the suction hazard more than any shock hazard.

i will say this, i have the hayward skimmer, i also retained the original inlet as well, and both are on separate ball valves. when people are in the pool, i make sure and open both valves, because it never fails, a floaty or something will get sucked into the hayward skimmer, and air will get in the line. not sure if this is bad for the pump or not, but i have to loosen the lid on the pump trap to get air out and its a PITA. with both the inlet and skimmer valves open, if skimmer gets blocked, it just increases suction to the original inlet.

now when no one is in the pool, and i want maximum skimming suction, i close the valve on original inlet and it doubles the suction to the hayward skimmer and it will pull in every grasshopper, leaf, ant, and anything else floating my pool within about 20 minutes!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!