Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: first slam

1. Back To Top    #1

first slam

getting ready for my first SLAM. I believe I have a pretty good idea on the process but I would appreciate any tips or comments that might help. Here are my pool readings using the TF 100 test kit.
    chlorine-6
    CC-1
    TA-200
    PH-7.5
    CYA-60
    CH-300
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Sand Filter Pentair Pump VS
    Electric Heat Ft Wayne Indiana
    Built 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: first slam

I wanted to ask what the best way to do this is considering I work 8 to 5?
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

3. Back To Top    #3

First, familiarize yourself with the Chlorine CYA Chart which will give you the target FC SLAM level (24 ppm) for your CYA of 60.

Is there any way you can come home for lunch to test/dose FC? That would be best. If not, then I would consider getting up a little earlier than normal and test/dose FC followed by another round of FC testing/dosing as late as possible before leaving for work, assuming the time between these is at least one hour. Then, focus the remainder of your testing and FC dosing in the evening. I would test/dose as soon as you get home and then again before you go to bed.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

Bo and I are basically saying thet same thing, I just got beat to it.

Sometimes life gets in the way, but you have to do the best you can. Do you have any type of automatic chlorinating system?

Assuming you don't and since you're gone during the day, I'd raise the FC to shock level right before you leave for work and then test and raise it back as soon as you can and then every hour until bed time. That's not ideal, but we have to do what we have to do. It make a day or so longer than it normally would, but it will work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

sounds good. I used the pool calculator and got 18 for the shock level, am I missing something? I am hoping that it will be a fairly short process. There is no signs of any visible algae in the pool. Actually it looks better using BBB than it ever has with the exeption of using too much chlorine you wouldnt suspect a problem but I know there is. I do have a chlorine generater but I have not been using it .
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

6. Back To Top    #6

Assuming it's an swg, if you have the salt level correct, I'd say turn it on and let it run during the day when you're gone.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

its not a swg its for the puck type chlorine. Should I fill it and use the pucks during the SLAM process? I just have had issues with my CYA being too high so I dont use anything to chlorinate except bleach.
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

8. Back To Top    #8

Any neghbors or friends that could dump a jug in during the day?
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jodyliebing
    Should I fill it and use the pucks during the SLAM process?
    No. This will add CYA and you want CYA to be steady during SLAM. Stick with bleach.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville
    Quote Originally Posted by jodyliebing
    Should I fill it and use the pucks during the SLAM process?
    No. This will add CYA and you want CYA to be steady during SLAM. Stick with bleach.
    good!! I am anti puck!!!
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian
    Any neghbors or friends that could dump a jug in during the day?
    Well thats a great idea!! just not quite sure how much to have them add?
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

12. Back To Top    #12

Well, the midday dose would only added to help the chlorine level a little bit while you can't tend it. You're levels will drop quickly early in the slam process. Wait til day 2 of your SLAM, and depending on loss from day 1 you should be able to make a guess as to what would be a safe amount to add. Any at all is good!
    Bestway SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

[quote="GreatCanadian"]Well, the midday dose would only added to help the chlorine level a little bit while you can't tend it. You're levels will drop quickly early in the slam process. Wait til day 2 of your SLAM, and depending on loss from day 1 you should be able to make a guess as to what would be a safe amount to add. Any at all is good![Thanks so much!!]
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

14. Back To Top    #14

Also could anyone tell me why the shock level for my CYA is 24 on the chlorine/cya chart and on the pool calculater it says 18?
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

15. Back To Top    #15

It's just a difference in the way the number was derived. Either will work and be safe, but the 24 ppm may get the job done a little faster.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

[quote="Bama Rambler"]It's just a difference in the way the number was derived. Either will work and be safe, but the 24 ppm may get the job done a little faster.[/ fair enough!! Thanks.]
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

17. Back To Top    #17

Also, if you can teach your friend/neighbor to test, and to use pool cause, that would be even better!
    Bestway SWG

18. Back To Top    #18

[quote="GreatCanadian"]Also, if you can teach your friend/neighbor to test, and to use pool cause, that would be even better![/ AHHH!! Now I get why your username is GREAT Canadian.]
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

19. Back To Top    #19

Autocorrect!! Pool cause shoud read Pool calculator!
    Bestway SWG

20. Back To Top    #20

I started my SLAM last night unfortunately I tested again right before and my CYA levels are 80 instead of 60. (Done it outside). SO here was my test results when I started
    CYA 80
    PH 7.5
    TA 200
    CH 300
    FC 1
    CC 1
    Also the pool has no visible signs of algae and is clear. I added 6 gallons of 10% bleach at 6:15 tested at 7:45 and got a FC of 38 ( a bit high for shock should have been 31) and a CC of 2. This morning I tested at 5:48 am and had FC of 14 and CC of 1.Added 2 gallons of bleach have not tested yet waiting 1 hour. I fell below shock level overnight, does this mean I have to start over? Also as I stated earlier in my post I do work and it may be a problem to add or test every 2 hours. One question I have is I just want to make sure that I am not damaging my pool or equipment by adding so much bleach. I feel that I should actually go a bit above my shock level so that it doesnt fall below when Im gone. Is this not a good idea? Does it seem like I am on the right track here??? Sure would appreciate any help.
    23k gal IG Vinyl Liner
    Built 2012

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast