Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Frisco, Tx

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Frisco, Tx

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am in the beginning stages of a looking into a pool, still thinking about what I truly want, cost and financing.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hello from Frisco, Tx

Welcome to the forum. Thousands of pool owners here to share their experiences and suggestions with you. Glad you are on board.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP !

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone for the welcome, I appreciate it.

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome Fellow Texan!

We're over in Rowlett. You'll find all the answers you need here and more.
    Laurie in Rowlett, TX (Dallas area)
    16' X 24' AG Doughboy Autumn Breeze w/Madrid liner | Majestic 8000 Blue Wedding Cake Steps
    Pentair Clean & Clear 150 Cartridge Filter | Pentair OptiFlo 1.5 hp pump
    TF-100 Test Kit | BBB is the only way for us!
    3' Buried install by Mendez Pool and Deck (They did a fabulous job!)

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP fellow DFW-area Texan!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for the welcome fellow Texans!

9. Back To Top    #9

Frisco5:

Looking at the big picture at this point, I would decide on is whether you want a salt pool (a.k.a., SWG) or a manually chlorinated pool. One common misconception is that salt pools do not use chlorine (which is false). A salt water chlorine generator (SWG) uses electricity to convert salt into chlorine. As the chlorine gets used up, it turns back into salt, ready to be reused. With a SWG, you are still using chlorine, the SWG simply takes care of adding the chlorine for you.

If you travel frequently and the pool will be unattended for several days a week without someone in the family able and willing to test and add chlorine daily, a salt pool would probably be the way to go as it does not require daily chlorine additions. Otherwise, a manually-chlorinated pool (which is what I have) would save you a bit of up-front $. If you go with the manually-chlorinated pool and your life situation changes to where you are traveling frequently, you can always convert to a SWG. Here's an article explaining SWG in a bit more detail: Salt Water Chlorine Generators

Only other big picture suggestion I have is to try to keep things as simple as possible while meeting your requirements. You always want to have one eye focused on maintenance. Pool builders like to sell you lots of "gee-whiz" stuff, much of which is unnecessary.

Once you get further along, post specs and price quotes and we can help vet them.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for all that information. I have been told by a few people to stay away from salt water pools because of corrison issues. I don't know enough yet to say that is the case. I will be around to take care of the pool, the more I look into it the more work it seems to be. I am trying to do my homework before I start taking with builders. So far I got that variable speed motors are the way to go to save on electric, my neighbor told me pebble tec finish is idea if you can afford the upfront cost. I am still trying to figure out the monthly cost to have a pool, electric bill, chemicals and etc.

11. Back To Top    #11

Welcome to TFP!

Welcome to TFP! There are LOTS of pool owners around you. My suggestion to is to go for a walk around your neighborhood and knock on the doors of people who have pools. Tell them who you are and that you want to know how their contract and build experience was. They will be thrilled to talk to you about it, either way. You'll learn volumes about the reputation and pricing of all of the major contractor players in your area.

In the DFW area, much of the problems that people face surrounding SWCG pools have to do with the type of stone used. Natural stone seems to have more issues reported with salt corrosion.

12. Back To Top    #12

Welcome from West TX. I'm at the end of your research road, and it's been about a 2 year journey for me. My wife finally caught some pool fever earlier this summer and now it seems a reality. We are about to make our final selection for a builder this week. Hope you enjoy the forum!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks, I feel like I am in for a long haul. My wife is good with the idea, just not actively involved in the process. Hope the forum cuts down on my research.