Short time lurker, new to pool craft

May 31, 2013
Central PA
Thought before I start posting all kinds of "so what kind of drainage do I need," "wth happened to my levels," and "pool is green, please help" threads, I should maybe introduce myself to you fine people I've been reading all kinds of answers from since about April of this year.

I've already recommended this site to my family when their filter went haywire and pumped all kinds of sand into their inground (their new pump was too powerful and busted off some fingers inside, was the eventual verdict of why there was so much sand in teh pool). So I guess it's time I say hello.

I'm a 30 year old woman from Central PA who would rather live somewhere along the coast. I had a pool for about a year as a kid but it didn't really last. I couldn't tell you why, although I'm pretty sure it was something to do with being out of level. Anyway, I can't actually swim very well. I'm ok at it, but I would like to get better. Every time I go to the beach I want to go parasailing and I just don't trust my swimming enough to do that. Even though my breast stroke sucks, I really love being in water. I don't know why, but I just feel at ease in the stuff. When I was a teen my group of girlfriends used to go spend days on end at the local pool. I was a better swimmer then, I think. And it was such a great way to stay in shape.

Being 30 obviously I'm starting to get that "hey I sit at a computer all day" look to my body and it's ticking me off. I do sit at the computer a lot because I'm a course developer. Yep, I have that green techie tan going on. Anyway, I'm tired of having to GO somewhere to get in a pool. So I thought a great 30th birthday present to myself and my health would be to install a pool.

I SO had no idea it would be so much work to do it, even after perusing this site. I thought well surely my yard wasn't that sloped, and hey I think this can be done in a week or so, moving brick patios and turning them into walkways and leveling out that spot of yard and cutting off that concrete pad and hauling 8 TONS OF DIRT out of the yard won't take long at all and I'll barely break a sweat.

:goodjob:

I guess it's just that everyone's walkthroughs and YouTubes make it look so easy I thought surely it would be. With all the extra stuff I've had to do it's been about two months since the start and still no pool up. But that's ok I suppose. I'm kind of glad we're having an early fall so I won't perspire so heavily as I finish out the digging and leveling and pulling and decking. I guess next summer is going to be my summer of love with this pool.

So I come to you in about the middle of my project, or maybe the third of it, if I'm being totally honest, to say hello. You are definitely going to be hearing more from me in the next couple of days, weeks, months, who knows.

Thank you all for maintaining such a great website, and offering so much information to those of us who lurk to find the answers that Google isn't good at finding anymore, and that you usually have to pay some professional for. We really appreciate it, even if you don't hear from us right away. It's nice to have a place to go to for information, ideas, and inspiration.

Oh yeah and I really do love the beach and yes I am a TOTAL BABE. :)

Nice to meet everyone!

Welcome to the forum. :wave: You have started a great DIY project that many of us here have either already completed or some just coming along like you.

All look forward to your posts....we'll offer encouragement and advice along the way. We LOVE pics.

beachybabe said:
So I thought a great 30th birthday present to myself and my health would be to install a pool.
Welcome to TFP and Congrats to you. :cheers: Anything that improves one's health is a gift that keeps on giving. As other's have said, we love pics and look forward to seeing the progress and completion of your pool.

Thank you all very much for your welcome. I will be posting many pics as soon as I get a little image hosting set up. After all this time, it looks like the pool will be in place this weekend. I need to get that liner in before the temps fall under 70! It's go time.