Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM questions..

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM questions..

Ok so it's my first time doing SLAM..at least properly anyway...

Pool was drained and acid washed back in April 1)'cuz it needed it and 2) last season had mustard algae from **** that I unsuccessfully attempted to treat. Thought that acid wash would eliminate any residual algae.....but no, it's back and likely my fault for not paying attention to FC levels during very warm SoCal weather and very warm solar heated pool.

Fast forward to right now. I have pool up to mustard algae shock level according to pool calc. What is unclear to me in the SLAM instructions is the duration of time that I must keep pool at this high shock level. I have no CC reading....never do. So say if I go take a nap right now for an hour or so, should I test again and bring it back up to mustard shock level once again? Twice again? When do I stop and let the liquid chlorine do it's job and kill the nasty buggers while I thoroughly brush every surface?

I understand about testing tomorrow morning and seeing what the chlorine loss overnight is....just fuzzy on the middle part...

Thanks!
    15000 gal. in ground quartz agg./ lazy L
    Pentair Whisperflow 1.5/Pentair FNS D.E. filter
    Solar Heat
    Hayward Navigator sweep
    San Diego, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM questions..

How do you know you have Mustard Algae?

Have you looked at this pool school article? http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../mustard_algae

Bottom line you do the normal SLAM process until you pass all three criteria simultaneously, then for 24 hours you do Mustard algea SLAM levels (make sure you read the article for the details).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I think everyone, including myself, must have misread that.

Step 1: SLAM at normal SLAM levels

Step 2: Successfully complete the SLAM on all 3 criteria. There is no set time, you go until you have clear water, less than .5 CC, and pass an OCLT. You MUST pass all 3, not just have clear water.

Step 3: Raise FC level to mustard algae level for 24 hours and clean anything that was exposed to the algae.

Step 4: Let FC levels drop back down and then enjoy!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, Donaldsn! YOUR response was very helpful...

linen, not so much....I wouldn't go to all this trouble and work if I wasn't certain that it is mustard algae. As a Lifetime Supporter of this forum I am a pool school "graduate", have read all the articles on this topic and simply asked a basic clarifying question.
    Solar Heat
    Hayward Navigator sweep
    San Diego, CA

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You're welcome. However...

Quote Originally Posted by Maxomom
    linen, not so much....I wouldn't go to all this trouble and work if I wasn't certain that it is mustard algae. As a Lifetime Supporter of this forum I am a pool school "graduate", have read all the articles on this topic and simply asked a basic clarifying question.
    If you already know everything why are you here asking questions? All linen was doing was asking "a basic clarifying question". In the future it would behoove you to be a little more humble to people trying to assist you.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Mustard algae is one of the most commonly mis-diagnosed conditions that we see posted. Linen's response was perfectly correct in asking if you had verified it.

I could find nothing unhelpful in Linen's post
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Max,

Try not to take this personally, we read hundreds of these posts a day. We may not be intimately aware of all of your efforts. Given that you are new poster here (less than 50 posting) we don't ASSUME anything and play it safe by asking confirming questions. I have reading posts from users with 200 posts that do not grasp the basic requirements of testing before acting.

Good luck on resolving your algae issues and please come back and share your knowledge, like we try to.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for your assistance and please accept my apology for my inappropriate reply from earlier today....
    Solar Heat
    Hayward Navigator sweep
    San Diego, CA

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Maxomom
    Thanks for your assistance and please accept my apology for my inappropriate reply from earlier today....
    np
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

10. Back To Top    #10

So what if you do a slam and the water remains clear? Last time I had a mustard algae bloom the water went cloudy for a day or so...this time it is at FC level for SLAM right now and is as clear as can be...thanks...
    Solar Heat
    Hayward Navigator sweep
    San Diego, CA

11. Back To Top    #11

Water can have algae and still be clear. However, your filter is likely still catching something. If you want, post some test numbers.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm not sure where you are in the slam process; this started with mustard algae, but it has been some time since then.

The test for stopping the SLAM includes clear water. This means no cloudiness, and no visible algae. If you still see mustard algae on the pool floor or walls, it's not "clear", yet. Once you pass the 3 criteria for a normal slam, up the FC to mustard algae levels until you pass all 3 criteria again.

If your water itself never gets cloudy during the slam process, it just means your filter is keeping up with catching the dead algae.
    Outdoor 14,000 gallon IG plaster pool built in 2000 with spillover spa, 2 hp WhisperFlo pump with MagneTek motor, Sta-Rite cartridge pool filter with 300 ft2 filtration area and 0.33 gpm/ft2 filtration rate, Aquabot Rapids 4WD robotic pool cleaner, Raypak digital gas heater, and Intermatic mechanical timer located in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex