Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stabaliztion puck strength percentage?

1. Back To Top    #1

stabaliztion puck strength percentage?

i saw some stabilizing pucks at the local big box store. The strength only said 63% as the ones i got from the pool store say 100??

i guess hence the price difference??
    18x38 IG
    Appox. 85000litres
    Jacuzzi laser sand filter
    1hp pump
    Municipal water

2. Back To Top    #2
    Antelope, CA

Re: stabaliztion puck strength percentage?

Do you need to add stabilizer to your pool? Once you add CYA (stabilizer/conditioner) you cannot take it out easily. Too much and your pool becomes a big green monster that is very hard to control.

Do you have any test results?

What are the products that make up the other 37% of that tablet?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

CYA/stabilizer is not available in puck form, to my knowledge. You saw something else....perhaps Cal Hypo.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

wantboost is probably talking about trichlor tablets, which contain stabilized chlorine. Most trichlor tablets are 98+% trichlor and 90% available chlorine, but there are a few brands that use lower percentages (by adding fillers or other chemicals which provide "extra features").

It is also remotely possible that one of them is cal-hypo instead. Cal-hypo comes at various strengths, with 63% being a very plausible strength.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School