Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pentair vs Hayward filters

Pentair vs Hayward filters

I need to replace my DE filter and I am not sure which brand to go with. I have a 21' x40', 35,000 gallon pool. My Hayward 1 hp motor just crapped out on me too. I haven 2 hp loner right now. Thoughts?
    Doug - Northern Bergen County New Jersey
    21' x 40' in ground pool, 35,000 gallons, (8' to 3' deep), vinyl liner, Aquabot T4
    2 returns, 2 skimmers, 1 bottom drain, 2" piping around equipment - reduces to 1 1/2" to pool
    Pump ( need new one - using a borrowed 2 hp now), Filter - Pentair Quad 80
    SWG Autopilot CR 52, Heater - Raypack Model R 406A BTU 399,000 gas

Re: Pentair vs Hayward filters

Welcome to TFP!!!

I don't think the brand really matters, but you sure want to make sure you get the right size. You have a big pool and we would generally recommend at least a 98 sqft DE filter ... which is on the top of the residential size.

There is the Pentair Quad DE 100 and I am not sure Hayward goes over 72 sqft on their DE filters.

Alternatively you could go with a 34" sand filter or a 518 sqft cartridge filter.

But, I do want to point out that if you have a low debris load or a short season, then you can get by with smaller than these recommendations.

I know Pentair extends the warranty to 3 years if you buy 3 pieces of equipment at the same time ... not sure if you already bought a pump or if you want to add a SWG or something.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

Ive had no problems with my hayward filter and from what ive seen pentair filters are pretty much the same quality
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

Thanks for the quick reply. I believe my existing filter is 60 sq ft. It's so old that the metal plate with all the info on it is unreadable. It is about 29" high and 18" in diameter, stainless tank. Hole just popped in tank and debris is getting to salt water generator filter screen, resulting in my salt water generator always turning off. I think the filter it is undersized and I think the 1 hp motor that just failed on me (looks like bearings are shot, it was streaming loud and froze up) was too small. 2" piping and about 50' to closest skimmer basket.
    21' x 40' in ground pool, 35,000 gallons, (8' to 3' deep), vinyl liner, Aquabot T4
    2 returns, 2 skimmers, 1 bottom drain, 2" piping around equipment - reduces to 1 1/2" to pool

All 1 hp are not created equal. Likely it is plenty of pump, unless you feel you do not have enough flow for something (spa, waterfall etc)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, Dolphin Diagnostic Robotic Cleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Gone: Hayward RS1500 pump, undersized DIY solar heater, Dolphin Dynamic Robotic Cleaner

Re: Pentair Quad Filter-Are You Happy With It?

I have a stainless steel DE filter 29" x 18" diameter that is shot (hole in tank and holes in screens). Looking at the Pentair Quad 80. My 1 hp pump is shot too. I'm making ends meet with a borrowed 2hp pump and the limping filter. Limited budget but will stretch it for better system. Thoughts on the quad and proper size of pump?

Bought a Pentair Quad 80 with multi port valve. PVC is drying now and overnight. I can see where I can improve on my plumbing of the filter and pump. Waiting until I get a new pump. Borrowing my buddies 2 hp pump for the rest of the season. What type size pump should I get?? I put 2" piping from pump to filter to heater. Looks like it gets smaller going back to pool.

With no special water flow needs, a small 1HP 2-speed would be my recommendation ... maybe the Superflo 1HP 2-speed like I have.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Thanks. I'm looking forward to firing up this filter. Pool is green and I have a party at the house Sunday.

If the pool is green, you need to follow the SLAM Process. [slam:1k8uyz9g][/slam:1k8uyz9g].

That is not going to be complete by Sunday, so don't get your hopes up
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Filter is running well. Shocked pool. On my way to get test kit. Wife is going to be REAL upset with me come Sunday morning if pool is not clear. Fingers crossed!!!

It is highly unlikely that you will find one of the recommended test kits locally unless you have a commercial supply house. The key is the FAS-DPD, most will not know what that is.

The pool did not get to its state in less than a week, so unlikely to get clear in a few days. Plus you may not have the required tool by then.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

You hit the nail on the head. Can't find the test kit! Just had water tested at local place. FAC .5 ( prior to first shock) TAC .5 pH 7.8 TA 110 CYA 40 Calcium hardness 210 Salt 2800 Phosphates 300

I'm trying to figure out calculator and get yard in shape. Calculator says add muriatic acid and calcium chloride. HELP!

The important thing your test shows is that you don't have enough chlorine in there.

Adding muriatic acid to bring the PH down to around 7.5 is a good idea.

You don't need any more calcium because you have a vinyl liner.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TFP Admin. Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

All you want to do at this point is lower the pH to the lower 7s and maintain the FC at shock level as described in the slam process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Thank you for the reply. Speaking to pool counter people is very frustrating, cookie cutter responses. They are doing their job, but frustrating. I'm on the learning curve here. I like this stuff.

Not sure if luck is turning my way, but my next door neighbor just bought the last DPD test kit around yesterday. Better than nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dun vegan
    Better than nothing!!!
    Well, not really. the DPD test is NOT, repeat, NOT the same as the recommended FAS-DPD test.

The DPD is limited to 5ppm by matching shades of pink ... and as an added bonus, if your FC is high, the pink gets bleached out so you may think you have no chlorine, but infact it is high.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Understood about test kit. I guess I'll make another trip to store to test water. Already cleaned filter as it jumped 10 psi in just three hours. Piece of cake cleaning it. Ph lowered. Pool is looking 100% better. Test and shock again.

Jason- exactly as you said. Used my neighbor's test kit and it showed NO chlorine. It didn't make any sense because I have shocked it three times so far. Used a test strip and it showed the FCC 5+. PH is low now 7.0 or so. I'm chasing the pH, so I am getting the water checked again. I need to grab a Proper pool test kit ASAP, but no time this weekend. Thanks for all your help! This Pentair Quad 80 is kicking butt. I am betting clear pool water tomorrow!!!