What next? My pool is still green....

I hope that I'm doing everything right. I've only had to add small amounts of bleach throughout the day, really thought I would be adding a lot more.

Latest #'s

FC: 21
PH: 7.8
TA: 120

No change in color. Sweeping the bottom doesn't make it darker or seem to swirl anything up. Hopefully there is a small difference in the a.m.

I have faith, the husband does not....he says drain it!

Was hoping for more change this morning but no such luck. Is this normal? I'm worried I am going to run out of reagent to test the FC before much longer.......

Here are pics of day 2.

Attachments

• green2.jpg
    green2.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 63
  • green3.jpg
    green3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 63
I think I may have to cave and give in to my husband. He says to drain because our pocketbook is being drained :(
If we were seeing any change at all I could hold him off but we are seeing absolutely nothing and I have been keeping it at a shock level of 22 since early yesterday morning. I know it won't clear overnight and can take several days but it doesn't even look like the algae is getting any lighter in color. Might be able to hold him off one more day but he says he's starting the drain when he gets home.....

This picture was yesterday morning around 7, this morning around 7, and just now about 2.

Attachments

• green4.jpg
    green4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 58
I actually did that this morning after reading on here that green/cloudy water can throw the CYA test off some and not seeing any improvement overnight. I did bring my PH down yesterday before starting, maybe something was off there too? Could that be my problem? One of my girls just got in it and she said she feels no slime or slickness on the bottom or sides at all. I know I have to have patience but I see no improvement and it's discouraging.

Chrystal_28 said:
Got my test and these are the results as of this morning:

FC: 3.5
PH: 8.2
TA:120
CYA: 55
CC:0

So if I understand I am going to add 642 oz. of bleach to get to a shock level of 22 and keep testing and doing this process until my shock level holds at that for an hour or more? Also do I need to bring my PH down before I start the SLAM process? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

How is it possible that you have CC of zero? With all that algae, wouldn't CC have to be more than zero?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
GuinnessPhish said:
How is it possible that you have CC of zero? With all that algae, wouldn't CC have to be more than zero?
Not really. Algae is organic and when it dies it just becomes a carcass. CCs are the result of Free Chlorine oxidizing nitrogen based compounds. If you have a green swamp but nothing/very little in the way of ammonia, urine, urea, etc., CCs of zero would be normal.
GuinnessPhish said:
Being that the OP has an AG pool, might it make more sense for her to drain the pool and start from scratch, adding stabilizer to around 30ppm, and then balancing the water, chlorinating, and SLAM-ing the pool until she passes the OCLT?
Possible, but there are a lot of factors that go into play. It's not a good idea to drain any pool completely, so you'll still have algae multiplying in the foot that's left when you start refilling. Plus, if it's from a well, besides the stress/time on the well pump, you've got issues of water quality from the well (metals, hardness, TA, etc.). Then you have to figure the cost of chemicals to rebalance the fresh fill.

I have so far seen nothing in this thread that's outside of normal. Remember that this thread may be 3 pages long, but the SLAM process only started correctly with a good test kit yesterday. There's a lot more to be done and a lot more time to be spent before even thinking about changing course.

Thank you for the responses. I just talked to my husband and now he doesn't really want to drain because he was told in our heat that it isn't good on the liner?? And of course I reminded him that I already have a lot invested and would like to stay the course (I really want to prove to him that this can be done)!
I ordered more drops for my test kit because I'm less than half a bottle after all the testing I've had to do.

So just to clarify....even though my water is not changing color the algae can be dead or dying? Do I need to pull my ladder out and soak it in bleach? It's the kind that has small holes for water to weigh it down and I'm sure there is algae in it but I'm not sure how to get it all out....will keeping it in the water at shock level kill it? I really appreciate all of the help because I really need it although I am understanding it all a lot more.

Chrystal_28 said:
Thank you for the responses. I just talked to my husband and now he doesn't really want to drain because he was told in our heat that it isn't good on the liner??
This is correct.

Chrystal_28 said:
So just to clarify....even though my water is not changing color the algae can be dead or dying? Do I need to pull my ladder out and soak it in bleach? It's the kind that has small holes for water to weigh it down and I'm sure there is algae in it but I'm not sure how to get it all out....will keeping it in the water at shock level kill it? I really appreciate all of the help because I really need it although I am understanding it all a lot more.
Yes. Some algae strains are more resistant than others and will take longer to change color. As soon as you get frustrated, looking at the pool, go to the "Defeating Algae" forum and browse for awhile. Look for threads with lots of pages of responses and little paperclips next to them (we all like pictures, right?). It will give you a better idea of what the spectrum of "normal" is. Richard320 has a list of links for inspirational reading.

As for the steps, yes, you will want to clean them eventually. Right now, there's enough yuck in the bulk pool water that the little bit in the stairs won't make a difference to the process. However, later on any algae that's hiding in the stairs will stall the process, and it will have to be drained and cleaned thoroughly. Plan on doing it sooner rather than later.

Are you using 25 ml FC samples or 10 ML FC samples? If you use a 10 ML, you use less drops. Each drop is equal to 0.5 FC, while the 25ml drop sample's are only 0.2 FC. Makes a big difference when you testing for 15 FC.

Yes pump is constantly running. Not having to backwash much because my clean filter pressure is around nine and it's not even on 10 (backwashed on Friday afternoon). We replaced our sand right before the algae took over and our pressure gauge is new.

I am using the 10ML sample but still using anywhere from 32-41 drops per sample. I have ordered another, larger, bottle. I have used my other test kit when I have it at shock level (and below) to see what color it shows (very deep orange) so that if I should run out I can at least have something to register it with.

I've been reading in the forums and I do see that some people seem to have drastic changes overnight and others seem to take a bit longer so I'm going to continue what I'm doing and learn to have more POP! Guess my pool just wants to be difficult.

I thought that that too and have been checking the return flow an it's been normal. I did go out earlier and backwashed it. Some green/white junk came out for about 3 minutes and that's all. Reading on gauge did not alter any and flow stayed steady.

Haven't tested chlorine yet but just did a PH test and it is high-8.2 or higher. I know from reading this happens during the shocking process but should I add some MA to bring it down some since I'm still not seeing any change in my water? Will this make any difference or just keep doing what I'm doing with the SLAM process?

Picture on the left is yesterday a.m.
Picture on right is this morning

Attachments

• green5.jpg
    green5.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 26

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.