Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How does a fountain cool the water?

1. Back To Top    #1

How does a fountain cool the water?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me how exactly a fountain cools the pool water? I installed one and it works great but I don't really understand how exactly it is working?

Thank you
    Brian
    Intex 16X48, Intex sand filter, Game 3/4 HP pump. Springfield Mo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How does a fountain cool the water?

It's actually evaporation. As the water droplets fly through the air part of it evaporates and that removes heat.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If I can remember back to high school physics... temperature is an an average of the energy in any substance. Some molecules have more, some have less. Some of the water molecules are closer to a temp where they will move into a gaseous state, but are held in check by other close by molecules that are not. Only molecules on the surface can change state easily and evaporate. If you atomize the water, there is more surface area so more high energy molecules can vaporize thus lowering the average energy/temperature.

Now, I am not 100% sure if this is correct because High school was about 30 years ago... so take it with a grain of salt.
    45' x 65" Rectangle, 85,000 gallons, marcite, 3 - 2hp Pentairs, sand, AutoPilot Professional 4 cells, Aquacheck Digital Reader, Aquachek Salt Water Chlorine Generator Test Strips (amazon has best price for 40 count!)

4. Back To Top    #4

seanm, you have it right. The rate of evaporation is a function of surface area, which is dramatically higher when water is sprayed by a fountain. Typically, more evaporation happens from a fountain than happens from the surface of the pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Great thanks guy's, I understand better now. And wow seanm I had to re read your comment a couple of times

Brian
    Intex 16X48, Intex sand filter, Game 3/4 HP pump. Springfield Mo

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Brian... I think. Always liked physics, but don't get to use it much in my current work in IT.
    45' x 65" Rectangle, 85,000 gallons, marcite, 3 - 2hp Pentairs, sand, AutoPilot Professional 4 cells, Aquacheck Digital Reader, Aquachek Salt Water Chlorine Generator Test Strips (amazon has best price for 40 count!)

7. Back To Top    #7

I like using a fountain not to cool the water temperature, but to increase the pH without effecting the TA. Up here in Michigan I have to heat the water way more then ever thinking about cooling it, and when I do want to drop the temp, I add water.

aeration-does-what-t14452.html
    2007 - 24' AG Doughboy Desert Spring dished 1.5', with DB Power Pak II-1hp pump, DB Sequel I Plus DE, Hayward H-Series Heater 100k + 8gal LQ.