Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: best equipment for closing a pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

best equipment for closing a pool?

just trying to get a census on the best choice for clearing lines when closing a pool, I hear a lot say shop vacs, but will that take care of virtually all pools or might I find some instances where that is not the case?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: best equipment for closing a pool?

Are you closing pools for a living? If so the you should invest in a blower designed for that work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Well. Is such case I'd believe from my experience that a tank of compressed air would be best but comparatively for as many closings I would be doing a year the price of a premium shop vac would suffice. For the multiple uses it would provide that is

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I use a small shop vac & a pancake compressor with a #10 rubber plug attached to an air jack for 2" lines.

Plus a small craftsman sump pump.

Vac to suck out spa and spa drains - even after blowing out.

Compressor to blow out lines.... then vac out any water left in the spa drains and skimmers.

You can also vac while blowing -- it will get all the water

Or you can use the shop vac to blow, but I prefer the small compressor.

And of course rubber plugs and threaded plugs where you can use them in spa drains, or skimmers.

Last I use plastic soda bottles and left over swim noodles to fill in the skimmers top and weir area and spa drains.

And I drain the water below the returns and fill the spa up 1/2 way to accommodate snow and rain.

I take care of several high end pools in CT and have not had any problems.

Also I remove all equipment from the elements and mice.
    25k 20x40 Gunite w/ integrated Spa & Caribbean Blue Plaster, Curved Bluestone Coping, Deck Jets
    Pentair Easy Touch/Wireless, Sta-Rite Intellipro SRVS Pump, Intellibrite Lights, & Pentair IC40 Cell, Sta-Rite 450sf Cartridge filter
    Heated from Central Boiler - Outdoor Wood Furnace & Triangle Tube Max Heat Exchanger
    ColorQ Pro
    TF-100