Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weekly Maintenance Checklist for Salt Water Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Weekly Maintenance Checklist for Salt Water Pool

I was wondering if anyone had a check list for weekly chemical maintenance for a salt water pool. I went to Leslie's to get a list and the list the employee gave me included muratic acid. Knowing how dangerous that stuff is I would prefer not to use it every week or even keep it around if I don't need to.

The pool is 15,000 gallons, uses a sand filter, and is above ground.

Thanks for any help!
    Pool Info: 15,000 gallons, In Ground Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Weekly Maintenance Checklist for Salt Water Pool

Welcome to TFP!

Here's as good a checklist as you'll find. pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

Is there a specific reason why you are worried about using muriatic acid? As long as you don't splash it or take a big whiff of it, it is quite safe to use. The real risk involved in using it is to the eyes. Wear some goggles or shields and you will be okay. We like muriatic acid here because it works well and is easy to dose. It also doesn't add any extra stuff that you don't need or want into your pool water.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Welcome to TFP!

Here's as good a checklist as you'll find. pool-school/basic_pool_care_schedule

Is there a specific reason why you are worried about using muriatic acid? As long as you don't splash it or take a big whiff of it, it is quite safe to use. The real risk involved in using it is to the eyes. Wear some goggles or shields and you will be okay. We like muriatic acid here because it works well and is easy to dose. It also doesn't add any extra stuff that you don't need or want into your pool water.
    was just reading that I actually understand the vacuuming, skimming, etc, its just the chemicals I am very new to. I read that you are supposed to pour the acid in the deepest end of the pool, but my AG pool has a uniform depth (I think this is common?). With that said, where should I pour it? I watched some youtube videos and they gave conflicting answers, some said to pour near the skimmer so the pump can distribute it and some said to do opposite side of the pool as the pump.

I guess my one concern is the pool is 4 ft 6 inches tall and I am 6 feet tall so I am not sure how I can pour over the side without having it come right back at my nose..

Amazing to get a response so fast and I am learning quite a bit reading the wiki stuff!

4. Back To Top    #4

Never pour muriatic acid into your skimmer. The high concentration of acid would cause damage to you seals and stuff. Best to pour it slowly in front of a return. You can also predilute it if you like. Just make sure that your pump is on and the water is moving. This is true for all chemical additions really. Nobody should get into the pool for at least an hour after adding the acid.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just stand up wind when pouring it into the pool.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

6. Back To Top    #6

So I poured it for the first time this morning and still alive

Was wondering though --- do you need to dilute it first? The instructions from Leslies say to but then I see a bunch of videos online where they don't. Seems like it would be easier to not dilute

7. Back To Top    #7

Do not dilute the acid before adding. And with a salt water pool, this is a weekly (at minimum) maintenance item.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks. I do have it on the weekly maintenance list but for now trying to get the chemicals evened out. We just recently bought this house and it had the pool so learning by fire

9. Back To Top    #9

Wait... Why add acid weekly?? What does it change that I'm possibly missing?? I havent had to add any in about a month.
    28,600 gal, IG vinyl, St. Louis, MO - Installed: 09/2012
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

10. Back To Top    #10

It lowers PH, many including me have issues with PH rise due to aeration occurring inside the SWG.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

11. Back To Top    #11

Ah... So could it maybe be just that it's so new? Possibly something we'll encounter down the road??
    Pump: 1.5 hp Pentair Challenger, Filter: Pentair TR-100 sand, SWG: IntelliChlor (Pentair) Vac: 2-wheel The Pool Cleaner, Test Kit: TFT100 kit, Salt Test: Taylor sodium chloride drop test.

12. Back To Top    #12

Even if you don't need to add acid once a week, consider checking your pH something you should check at least weekly, especially with an SWG.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I've been checking pH almost daily (or every other day) just til I get the hang of everything. Steady at 7.4.

14. Back To Top    #14

You are very lucky. I add a gallon a week.

15. Back To Top    #15

I was pretty anal the first 6 months, daily testing, then relaxed a little to every couple of days. Now I test PH/FC weekly or twice a week, but TA/CH/CYA monthly, Borates/Salt quarterly sometimes more frequently.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

16. Back To Top    #16

I have found with my TA down around 70-80 my PH rise is minimal, been hovering around 7.6 since I opened this year. With a TA around 120 I was adding MA every few weeks to keep the PH in check.
    29,700 Gallon Vinyl Roman End, Sta-Rite Max-Therm-400HD gas heater, Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

17. Back To Top    #17

If you do dilute it make sure you add the acid to a bucket of water. NEVER add water to acid. Very dangerous.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuyInNOLA
    If you do dilute it make sure you add the acid to a bucket of water. NEVER add water to acid. Very dangerous.
    Yes I read that a few places and did the correct order when diluted this morning. I won't be diluting anymore though.

Also - small world - I am from new orleans and do IT security work =)