Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I Being "Pool Stored"? Using copper to kill algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I Being "Pool Stored"? Using copper to kill algae

I'm new to the site and definitely not a pro when it comes to pool upkeep. We've been fighting algae for a while now. We just let our pool guy go after the algae just keeps getting worse and worse and the bill higher and higher. I've ordered one of the recommended test kits T100 maybe, but until then I'm having to rely on the pool store. They have recommended adding copper to get rid of the algae after yellow out did not work. (We can't get our PH high enough) Is this ever a good idea????

Gunnite pool
    28,000 gallons

Today's test results.

TC 0.9
    FC 0.4
    PH 7.0
    TA 130
    Stabilizer 68

We've shocked it every day the past few days and it's not holding any chlorine. Any help is appreciated!!!
    12,000 gallon SWG - IG Medium grey plaster - Water Sheets, Spillover Spa and 28ft x 4 ft tanning ledge
    Hayward High Rate Sand Filter - ProSeries - 2 pumps - 1 variable speed, 1 two speed
    Hayward Heater - Hayward Pro Logic Automated Digital System with wireless remote
    Pool build June 18, 2016 - TF-100 Test Kit with Speedstir - Hayward SharkVac

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I Being "Pool Stored"? Using copper to kill algae

Welcome to TFP.

Adding copper isn't a good idea. You need to perform the shock process correctly to get rid of the algae. To do that you need a good test kit. Luckily you have one on the way. Just try to maintain until the kit gets there and while you're waiting, read through Pool School especially the part about properly shocking your pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

What the pool store calls "shocking" and what we currently call the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS are very different things.

Keep reading while you wait for the kit:
    Defeating Algae
    Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to the forum

Good on you for ordering the fave kit, TF100

You need to follow the Shock Process in Pool School. pool-school/shocking_your_pool

If you have been using a stabilized source for shocking/chlorinating, your CYA # is probably even higher by now.

I suggest you drain/refill enough to get the CYA to about 50. Then, first correct the pH to low 7's, and then start the Shock Process. You will be using bleach/liquid chlorine for this process.

Your pH was most likely being lowered by an acidic source, like trichlor

btw, copper can cause almost-impossible-to-remove stains and is what turns hair green .

ETA: goodness, you guys are so fast! sorry for any duplicate info
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

5. Back To Top    #5

Wow! Thanks for all the fast replies! I didn't have a good feeling about adding copper so I'm glad I asked.

We actually just drained our pool to half depth and refilled it. This was advised by our now gone pool guy. He added the conditioner which I think has raised the level too high now. So in saying all that we'd like to not drain the pool anymore unless absolutely necessary. Will it hurt things to leave it as is and see what happens?
    12,000 gallon SWG - IG Medium grey plaster - Water Sheets, Spillover Spa and 28ft x 4 ft tanning ledge
    Hayward High Rate Sand Filter - ProSeries - 2 pumps - 1 variable speed, 1 two speed
    Hayward Heater - Hayward Pro Logic Automated Digital System with wireless remote

6. Back To Top    #6

We will know more when we get trusted CYA results from your TF-100 kit, if it really is around 68, this is high enough to be a concern in a manually chlorinated pool, but possibly manageable if water replacement is not an option (you live in an area with water rationing, etc.)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP! Listen to these guys and you will have a sparkling pool in no time and save a ton of money in the process. I have been a member since I built my pool last year and I have spent less than $160 in nine months. I have never had to perform the shock process. I read this site every single day and I have learned a lot! I actually have it set as my homepage on my Ipad and computer. If they gave an award for being logged on the most, I would probably win! Good luck and welcome.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

8. Back To Top    #8

POOL SCHOOL!!! It's where it's at!

Read up before your test kit gets here and you will be prepared and do what your pool boy couldn't!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok here's my next question. My test kit won't be here for a week. What should I do in the meantime? Should I do the shock process but take the water to pool store for testing?

10. Back To Top    #10

Must not have ordered from Dave

Do you have the yellow OTO test? You can dilute and get a rough idea of the high FClevel required. That would be better than going to the store.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

11. Back To Top    #11

I do have the yellow OTO test. How do I go about diluting it? Any tips? Thanks for your help.

12. Back To Top    #12

Another question: When I enter my numbers into the pool calculator it tells me I need to add 9 jugs of 6% bleach to raise my pool to shock level. Is this what I'm adding every hour as stated in the shocking section? Holy Cow, that's a lot of bleach and money.

13. Back To Top    #13

You always test and then reuse the calculator to see how much more to add to get back up to shock level.

Use one of the graduated cylinders to measure the water ratios.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jmcologgi
    Another question: When I enter my numbers into the pool calculator it tells me I need to add 9 jugs of 6% bleach to raise my pool to shock level. Is this what I'm adding every hour as stated in the shocking section? Holy Cow, that's a lot of bleach and money.
    ...and yet people spend a fortune and toss in to their pools mass quantities of inappropriate chemicals that the pool store recommends -go figure?
    Bleach is cheap in the sense that you're buying an easily obtained product that does one thing exceedingly well and yet doesn't cause or introduce other problems, unlike what the pool stores sell which do!
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

15. Back To Top    #15

That isn't what you add every hour. It's what you add to raise the FC to the shock target level. How much you add after that depends on how much algae you have. If you had no algae, then you might lose half the FC to sunlight so figure that's a daily minimum, but with algae it will be more. You test more frequently at first (yes every hour or so if you can and if the FC is dropping that fast) and you add more chlorine to keep the FC up. As the algae is killed and cleared, you'll lose less and overnight with no sun will lose <= 1 ppm which is one of three indicators that you are done shocking.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

16. Back To Top    #16

Welcome jmcologgi
    I'm a newbie pool owner also
    I had no clue what to with a pool
    At the end of April I had a green pool and I found this web site
    I listened to what the experts said and my pool went from green to Sparkling Clear in less than 2 weeks
    I spent about 150 to 200 dollars at most and half the cost was a test kit(best thing I bought for the pool)
    Don't try to mix what you read here and what the pool store says it wont work
    Trust these guys and your pool will be Sparkling Clear soon
    It worked for me
    14600gal, In-Ground Fiberglass, Haywood s244t Sand Filter, Jandy Apure35 SWG,
    Haywood 2 speed 1hp pump, Haywood Pool Shark, TF-100 Test Kit http://tftestkits.net/
    Pool School http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started
    Never been Pool Stored Thanks to TFP

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    ...and yet people spend a fortune and toss in to their pools mass quantities of inappropriate chemicals that the pool store recommends -go figure?
    Bleach is cheap in the sense that you're buying an easily obtained product that does one thing exceedingly well and yet doesn't cause or introduce other problems, unlike what the pool stores sell which do!
    Well anything seems like a lot of money when you've already drained the pool halfway and added several hundreds of dollars in chemicals. I'm so glad I found this site when I did or I'd have copper in my pool and who knows what else!

18. Back To Top    #18

So per advice yesterday we drained a third of the pool and now my CYA is close to the 40-50 range. I've added the amount of bleach suggested and an hour later about half is still there. This is a big improvement from before so I am making headway! I'm dying to get my test kit in to see more accurate test results but until then I'll do the best I can.

In everyone's experience, how accurate is it to get the FC level tested at the pool store? Can they measure levels higher than shown on the yellow OXO test??

19. Back To Top    #19

Pool stores often do the tests inaccurately. They usually have temporary help during the summer, they are not well trained, and they don't always use the best test equipment. For FC, they often use a DPD test and it bleaches out at higher chlorine levels above 5 or 10 ppm depending on brand. So no, I would not rely on the pool store for testing. Get yourself either the TFTestkits TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006 where the former has more volume of reagents you use the most (see Test Kits Compared). I wasn't clear if you had ordered it yet. If you ordered it from TFTestkits, you will get the test amazingly fast.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

20. Back To Top    #20

They usually only test up to 5ppm, because they use the OTO or DPD test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast