Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shocking Pool how long should fc stay elevated?

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking Pool how long should fc stay elevated?

How long should fc stay elevated when you shock your pool. Over night, or just for a few hours. trying to get my cc down with no luck. water is crystal clear, well it was until I shocked the heck out of it, hopefully I didn't screw up
    28,000 gallon aboveground, swg, cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking Pool how long should fc stay elevated?

Welcome to the forum

Pool School, big white button, top right of every page. Here you go for the Shock Process: pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Post back with any new questions
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've read it, understand it for the most part, have the tf 100, when I use the pool calculator and shock to the dosage it tells me to, Im not seeing the same or close results in my fc test. I cant seem to get rid of my cc

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Are you sure you're done? There are three parts to passing the tests.

Anyway, some people get lucky and are done in four days, some take three weeks. It just depends on too many variables. Make sure you scrub any hiding places, like steps and ladders.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

It's a process. It may take sometime. The longer you maintain shock level the quicker it goes. Also POP helps alot.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

last night I dumped in 5 gals of 12.5% hypochlorite, that's what pool calculator told me I needed, this morning when I tested I had basically none or .5 fc and loots of cc. so do I go by pool calculator, or just keep testing while im shocking to see actual fc numbers at shock level

7. Back To Top    #7

Keep testing while your shocking. Every hour if you can or as often as you can. As soon as FC drops bring it back up.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would post some results, but I put in some potassium monopersulfate along with the 12.5% hypochlorite so that will show up as cc. And boy did that make my clear pool into a cloudy mess

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by CornBelt
    I would post some results, but I put in some potassium monopersulfate along with the 12.5% hypochlorite so that will show up as cc. And boy did that make my clear pool into a cloudy mess
    ruh row
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

an hour ago I had fc up to 20, now its down to 9 already, where is it going, killing algae? and if it is how long do I need to keep it elevated that high for. my cya is 60

11. Back To Top    #11

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Yep the algae is using it. That's why you have to maintain shock level.

Jeff

13. Back To Top    #13

I put in 12 gallons of 12.5% plus prolly 4 pounds of potassium monopersulfate, your telling me I need more??? how long do I need to keep it up, it will cost me a fortune to kill this algae

14. Back To Top    #14

Is there something I should be using instead of the sodium hypochlorite to shock, I certainly don't want to add to my cya

15. Back To Top    #15

Is there something I should be using instead of the sodium hypochlorite to shock, I certainly don't want to add to my cya
    Nope. That's the stuff.

The good news is, demand tends to slow down, sort of logaritmically. first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html Scroll down to the last pictures on page one.

16. Back To Top    #16

wow. yea I think that's the boat im in, the 5 gallons I put in last night did nothing, only made my cc worse, and if I wouldn't have asked questions here tonight the 12 I had put in already would have done nothing for me. I think I have it figured out, just keep dumping, and testing, when the algae is done eating, my fc wont drop like it is, it will hold at more of a shock level overnight, hopefully then my swg can handle it from there. Does that sound right in simple terms???

17. Back To Top    #17

wow. yea I think that's the boat im in, the 5 gallons I put in last night did nothing, only made my cc worse, and if I wouldn't have asked questions here tonight the 12 I had put in already would have done nothing for me. I think I have it figured out, just keep dumping, and testing, when the algae is done eating, my fc wont drop like it is, it will hold at more of a shock level overnight, hopefully then my swg can handle it from there. Does that sound right in simple terms???
    Yep.

You're trying to get ahead of the algae. So you kill off 40% or so with the first load of chlorine, then maybe 25% with the next, then 20%, and so on. Each interval should require less and less bleach. And note the earlier post I made - the MPS shock gives falsely high CC readings. But that will go away.

18. Back To Top    #18

I wasn't going to test for cc tonight, I just added 4 more gallons and im back up to 35 ppm, guess I will check it in a half hour see how fast it is dropping. is this something that can be done in a few hours. and if I shock at a higher fc level will it speed up the process?

19. Back To Top    #19

and would I be right that once you start shocking you cant stop until you beat the algae, or it will just turn into cc

20. Back To Top    #20

It will come back stronger......don't ask how I know......
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast