Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Convinced!! Now to convert from Pristine Blue

1. Back To Top    #1

Convinced!! Now to convert from Pristine Blue

I have been using Pristine Blue for the past 3 years and after spending some time on here reading about the BBB method I am convinced its time to convert. P.S- I feel kinda dumb for being lured to the darkside!(PB)

Ok! I tested my water this evening and here are the results. I have an old kit so I couldn't test for CH or CYA. I ordered the Taylor K-2006 kit to solve that problem!

TC-0
    FC-0
    PH-8.2
    TA-60
    CH-N/A
    CYA-N/A

COPPER- .5

Where is the best place to start this process?
    30,375 GAL. FIBERGLASS IG, HAYWARD S-240; 62 GPM SAND FILTER, HAYWARD 2 1/3 hp DUAL SPEED PUMP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Convinced!! Now to convert from Pristine Blue

Welcome to TFP!!!

Isn't the only difference with that system that you add copper? If so, just stop adding copper and maintain the recommended levels as described in pool school.

You could replace water to lower the copper level in the pool. And in fact, if your CYA is too high, then you will need to replace water anyway.

So, I would suggest at this point you just do a lot of reading in Pool School while waiting for the test kit to arrive.

How does the water look?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I believe that's the only difference! Well, besides a lot of money being extracted from my hip pocket!

The water is a dark green color. Should I start by shocking the pool or do I need to get my PH right before I shock it? We are just now trying to open it.

Also, it sat uncovered over the winter and we believe we have all of the leaves out but we can't see the bottom so can't be 100% sure.

Here's a pic of the pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30,375 GAL. FIBERGLASS IG, HAYWARD S-240; 62 GPM SAND FILTER, HAYWARD 2 1/3 hp DUAL SPEED PUMP

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, go ahead and fix the Ph now. Hard to start shock process without having some idea of your CYA level, and as mentioned, you may need to drain water anyway. Look for a bleach sale in the mean time! You're gonna need just a little bit!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    Yes, go ahead and fix the Ph now. Hard to start shock process without having some idea of your CYA level, and as mentioned, you may need to drain water anyway. Look for a bleach sale in the mean time! You're gonna need just a little bit!
    Thanks! I've already been looking!!

6. Back To Top    #6

It brings a tear to my eye seeing a beautiful pool like that in that condition......Mike
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

7. Back To Top    #7

Was CYA not tested or is it zero?

Break out the leaf rake and start dragging.

You can do that while the acid is working on the pH. When your arms and back need a rest, fumble around measuring and filling the CYA socks and get them hung in front of a return. When pH is good, hit it with bleach. You won't be testing anything but FC & CC for a while, so be sure the pH is good before you start.

pool-school/shocking_your_pool
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Was CYA not tested or is it zero?

Break out the leaf rake and start dragging.

You can do that while the acid is working on the pH. When your arms and back need a rest, fumble around measuring and filling the CYA socks and get them hung in front of a return. When pH is good, hit it with bleach. You won't be testing anything but FC & CC for a while, so be sure the pH is good before you start.

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

CYA wasn't tested. The kit I have is older and doesn't have that test in it but I've ordered one that does.

Been raking for about a week and all I pull up now is silty kinda stuff. I'm assuming its mostly dirt and algae.

I'm gonna wait till I get the new kit before I start messing with the CYA. Don't want to mess anything up!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by fast1971chevelle
    It brings a tear to my eye seeing a beautiful pool like that in that condition......Mike
    I know! Mine too, but I'm gonna get it turned around and I will continue to post pics as I go! Hopefully, we will be smiling about it again soon!

10. Back To Top    #10

I got my Ph adjusted down to 7.2. I think I'm ready to start the shock process but, I've got a few questions.

1) Do I need to have my CYA adjusted before I start the shock process?

2) Am I wasting time and money if I try to shock without knowing the CYA level?

3) Can I run my automatic cleaner during the shock process?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Okiesummer
    I got my Ph adjusted down to 7.2. I think I'm ready to start the shock process but, I've got a few questions.

If you have your K-2006, yes. Test your CYA, and if it is high >50, drain and refill according to the poolcalculator.com

You could easily waste some money, and put your liner at risk by overclorinating.

You can, and it might pick up some of the organics that you may have missed. But without being able to see it, how will you know it's still working? I recommend you wait until you kill the algae and the pool starts clearing.

15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    Quote Originally Posted by Okiesummer

If you have your K-2006, yes. Test your CYA, and if it is high >50, drain and refill according to the poolcalculator.com

You could easily waste some money, and put your liner at risk by overclorinating.

You can, and it might pick up some of the organics that you may have missed. But without being able to see it, how will you know it's still working? I recommend you wait until you kill the algae and the pool starts clearing.

Thanks Charlie R!
    I should have my new kit today!

13. Back To Top    #13

So post a full set of numbers when you get your kit. If the CYA is high, then a partial drain/refill would be the first thing to do since it will make any shocking use a lot less chlorine and you don't want the CYA to be high long-term anyway. A partial drain/refill will also lower the copper level to will help to prevent staining. Because you have copper in the pool, you'll want to make sure to significantly lower your pH before shocking with a hypochlorite source of chlorine (chlorinating liquid, bleach, Cal-Hypo, lithium hypochlorite). Lower the pH to at least 7.2 (but not below 7.0) before shocking.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok! Got my new test kit today and here are the numbers!

FC- .5
    CC- 1.5
    PH- 7.0
    TA- 70
    CH- 300
    CYA- 0

Is my next step to raise my CYA to the proper level and then do the shock process?

15. Back To Top    #15

Raise CYA to around 30 to 40 for now. That is about the ideal level for shocking. You can start shocking right away, especially at night, but will lose a fair bit of chlorine to sunlight during the day until you get some CYA in the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

16. Back To Top    #16

You got it.

Have you ever had CYA in the pool? Maybe add 20ppm and start the shock process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Raise CYA to around 30 to 40 for now. That is about the ideal level for shocking. You can start shocking right away, especially at night, but will lose a fair bit of chlorine to sunlight during the day until you get some CYA in the water.
    Alright! I'm all over it! Thanks for the help!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You got it.

Have you ever had CYA in the pool? Maybe add 20ppm and start the shock process.
    I've never been able to check it before so I dont really know. I do know that I've never added stabilizer....ever since I've owned the pool!

Thanks for the help!

19. Back To Top    #19

Any pucks or Dichlor? Just do not what you to add too much.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Any pucks or Dichlor? Just do not what you to add too much.
    Nope! I've never added or used either of those!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast