Does it matter if my TA is high?

May 13, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
My TA is 180. My PH also runs high, usually 7.8 - 8. We have very hard water here in AZ, so in the summer, I am dumping a lot of acid in the pool. Probably a gallon or more a week, and that will get me down in the 7.6 range, but it bumps back up pretty quickly. I can control the PH with enough acid, but it never seems to make a dent in the TA reading.

Regardless, the water looks amazing, and I have no scaling in the pool. Eyes don't sting, skin doesn't feel tacky, all other water chemistry maintains easily.

The only side effect from the high TA, is that I have to clean my salt cell weekly.

So, should I be concerned about the TA in this case?

Needing to clean the SWG frequently will shorten the lifetime of the cell. Otherwise, the high TA isn't too bad. Mostly it just means you have to add acid all the time, which you know already.

Most likely the high TA comes from your fill water having high TA. An automatic acid feed system would greatly help in this kind of situation.

OK, well that's positive. I'm not going to make myself nuts over the TA then.

I just had to replace the cell housing (all that weekly hammering to get the cell out doesn't help much!), so the lady was telling me that I needed to lower my TA, so I wouldn't have all that weekly buildup on the cell. That's the only reason I thought to ask.

Thanks, Jason!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.