Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: on no, foam covered water!

1. Back To Top    #1

on no, foam covered water!

I put 6 bottles of bleach in my pool last night and woke up to foam on top of entire surface of pool water. What did i do wrong and how can i fix it?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: on no, foam covered water!

Hi, it should be ok but I have a couple of questions. Did you use plain, unscented bleach? Do you have a very green pool? Either of those can cause foaming.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Hi, it should be ok but I have a couple of questions. Did you use plain, unscented bleach? Do you have a very green pool? Either of those can cause foaming.
    Actually my pool was very clear, just the start of algae which i why i shocked with bleach. The chlorox was unscented (i believe) but i also put Waimarts no name brand because they didn't have enough Chlorox

4. Back To Top    #4

Have you used algaecide or any other chemicals lately? 6 Bottles is alot of bleach! How high is your CYA? Also please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detatched).
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Have you used algaecide or any other chemicals lately?

no never use algaecide.i do have trichlor pucks in the chlorinator.

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you used algaecide or any other chemicals lately? 6 Bottles is alot of bleach! How high is your CYA? Also please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detatched).
    my CYA is 40, i put 6 bottles in and the FC went from 4ish to 18 , i think shock level should be 20

16x36 plus 8x12 L shape vinyl inground

7. Back To Top    #7

How big were those bottles? How many ounces in total did you add?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Foaming is most usually the result of adding something to the pool....usually something that it didn't need with cheap algaecide being the most common.

Regardless of the cause, the solution is the same....more chlorine. I would suggest elevating FC levels to twice normal, run the pump 24/7 and it should clear in a day or so.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Foaming is most usually the result of adding something to the pool....usually something that it didn't need with cheap algaecide being the most common.

Regardless of the cause, the solution is the same....more chlorine. I would suggest elevating FC levels to twice normal, run the pump 24/7 and it should clear in a day or so.
    The surn burned it off, the pool was chrystal clear by 2 pm

Thanks for the responses.

BTW, next time i use bleach i will pour directly into skimmer rather then btoadcasting over pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

BTW, next time i use bleach i will pour directly into skimmer rather then btoadcasting over pool.
    Done slowly, that's ok. An even safer method is to pour it directly in front of a return - pump running.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Are you sure you did not accidentally get "outdoor bleach" which contains detergent like agents as well as bleach?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunt
    Do you ruin a lot of clothes? Because I would have bleach spots all over me if I did that!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter