Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: converting a single speed pump to two speed.....

1. Back To Top    #1

converting a single speed pump to two speed.....

Is it possible? my pool pump seized up during the winter and I had to replace it...bought one on line and I some how ended up with a one speed 1.5 HP Waterway pump. while installing it I noticed that the power cord would not reach the timer. I decided to take the cord off the old one and replace the new one's...when I removed the back cover to the pump I noticed that the new pump appears to have the same electrical connections and the old two speed pump...the only difference seemed to be the wiring connections and the two way switch. The electrical posts were even numbered the same,

What do you all think? is this doable?

Thanks in advance for your help...Bo

Three way switch on old pump:

Two way switch on new pump:

Connections on back of old pump:

Connections on back of new pump:
    Thanks all for your amazingly helpful advice! Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

God Bless America!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: converting a single speed pump to two speed.....

You would need to replace the motor to get a two speed pump. The electrical connection panel is the same, but the motor windings are done differently on a two speed motor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If the motor is not a 2-speed motor ... no amount of "fancy" wiring is going to result in have a low and high speed. The motors are built differently with separate windings for the 2 speeds.

What does the placard on the side of the new motor say?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    If the motor is not a 2-speed motor ... no amount of "fancy" wiring is going to result in have a low and high speed. The motors are built differently with separate windings for the 2 speeds.

What does the placard on the side of the new motor say?

Thanks for you help...kindda figured that would be you all's answer...though not what I wanted to hear...figured it was possible since the wiring connections looked the same but not used because it only had a two way switch...anyway, here are pics of the placard...please let me know if you change you mind.

Thanks...Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

God Bless America!

5. Back To Top    #5

It only lists 1 RPM (3450) and 12 amps ... it is a single speed motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

That is a single speed motor. There isn't any changing that without replacing the motor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

dang!!! i don't know how i missed the fact that it was a single speed pump when i bought it......

Thanks fellas.

Bo

God Bless America!