Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to convert my baqua pool to chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

How to convert my baqua pool to chlorine

Hi there - This is my first post and I'm hoping I have all the correct information. I want to convert from Baquacil to chlorine and am not sure how to start. From reading other posts, I've found that bleach is the favored recommendation but how much to begin with? My water is blue but VERY cloudy with much debris and frog eggs! I do not know my baquacil rate because my test strips do not give me numbers. The light blue color says add maintenance dose if that helps. PH is at 7.5 and ALK is at about 100. When and how should I start?

Thanks!
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to convert my baqua pool to chlorine

All of the steps are spelled out if you follow this link.

There is no need to know your current Baqua level.

You will want to lower the PH just a little, as mentioned at the link I gave you.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

We love to see pictures of the conversion process, so take lots of them.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

If you don't have the right test kit already, don't even bother starting until you do. Get the TF100 XL and a speedstir. You'll be happy you did in about two weeks.

And take pictures. Lots of pictures. Maybe even a video when the first splash of bleach hits the pool.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I've already started and just discovered the test kit I bought only measures fc to 5! Should I just stop? Can't afford all that bleach and $90 for test kit right now. Have 5 kids itching to swim so I guess I got in a hurry. Not sure where to go from here.... pool is looking pretty yucky though!
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, you're sort of committed now, aren't you?

You can guesstimate FC by diluting your sample with non-chlorinated (bottled/distilled) water and multiply the result for starters. That's probably close enough for the initial technicolor conversion. When the shade just fades rather than changes, and to know when it's completey Baq-free, you'll need something better.

You can turn that K-2005 into a K-2006 by buying just this: http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html Order today, probably have it in your paws by Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on where you live.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Here she is in all her slimy green glory! Just tested again, got fc of 2. Added 355 ounces of bleach. This is the 4th time. Once last night then 3 times today. Going to add once more tonight before bed then start again tomorrow. Have to work so I hope it doesn't set me back too much. Husband is skeptical, lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Another question... there are a lot of tiny debris particles in the pool. I'm trying not to worry about it but thought I should ask if it is something I need to pay particular attention to.
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by frankie_lent
    Another question... there are a lot of tiny debris particles in the pool. I'm trying not to worry about it but thought I should ask if it is something I need to pay particular attention to.
    If blobs of goo for, fish them out with a net. Otherwise, just be patient.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, just got a reading of 7 fc. Added 284 oz bleach. Ready to start again tomorrow. Thanks for all the help and tips. This forum is wonderful and I've told everyone I've talked to about it!
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

11. Back To Top    #11

How are you testing the FC levels?? At this early stage I'd be shocked if you only lost 8FC in over 4 hours??

12. Back To Top    #12

When I tested, the water was slightly darker than the five. I guesstimated a seven because I didn't want to add too much. This morning is at a 5. I'm going to try to hunt down a free chlorine test kit today. Hope everything is alright.
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Trying to "shock" using the OTO test will lead you all over the place. Odds say you never reached the 15FC point at the start, which you can't verfy as the testing only goes to 5. A good FAS/DPD test is a much. You'll waste more money in bleach shocking blindly than you will in a good test kit.

http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

14. Back To Top    #14

Doing the best I can with what I've got! Hopefully I can find what I need today. Like I asked yesterday, should I stop and wait?
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

Couldn't find anything our and about today. I went ahead and ordered the test kit. Should I still be trying to test for 5 FC or less and continue adding bleach according to the pool calculator? Or should I just wait a few days for the kit? Please help!
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

16. Back To Top    #16

My vote is to keep going. It's not like algae where you're trying to kill it and it comes back; once you oxidize baquagoo, it's oxidized. And you need something in that water to keep the algae at bay; might as well be chlorine.

Like I suggested - dilute the sample 1 part poo water and 2 parts bottled water, mix it up and pour that into the chlorine tester and see what you get. Then triple the reading. It's only for 2 more days, most likely, until the good kit arrives.

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks Richard - I actually just returned from the store with a gallon of bottled water and more bleach! I'll check and add again before bed tonight then grab lots more bleach tomorrow.
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

18. Back To Top    #18

When you think you have enough bleach, double it! Just clear the shelf at Wally World cuz you're gonna need it!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

When I tested last night, FC was at 0 so I put in 533 oz. Bleach. After adding, I tried to test by adding 2cups distilled water to 1cup pool water. After adding the drops, the water turned a dark orange and the 5 on my test tube is only dark yellow. Tried twice with same results. This morning, I took 2 cups distilled water and 1 cup pool water. Color was still darker than the 5 on the tube, which would indicate at least 15 FC. Didn't add this morning. Going to work and will check when I get home. Hope my T100 comes soon!
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Very excited! I can see the bottom of my pool for the first time this season! FC was at .5 so I added 515 oz. bleach and there was NO COLOR CHANGE! Hopefully I'm on the down-hill side now. Bad news, the clear water has shown me a huge mass of dirt in the middle. The whole pool was just vacuumed on Friday and we've tried to keep it brushed but apparently haven't done very well with it. Problem is, we can't actually reach the middle with brushes so... is it safe to get in to brush and or vacuum? Even with the extension pole, we can't reach! I know this has happened fast and I'm still waiting on my T100 but, since it didn't change colors when I added this afternoon and it seemed to hold over-night last night (according to my multiplication version with my faulty kit), when should I begin the next step? And, should I keep adding that much bleach?
    Frankie
    27' AG
    17000 Gallons
    Sand Filter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast