Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed pumps

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed pumps

Do you really save much on your electric bill on low speed?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed pumps

Below is a chart I made - now the million dollar question is that do you really save if you need to run 2X on low to get he same filtering as 1X on high ??

Meaning these are both 4 hour run times 30 days...however do I need to run low speed more to get same results, thus eliminating the savings.

[attachment=0:2fz543a2]2 speed pump cost.jpg[/attachment:2fz543a2]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Low speed moves 1/2 the water for 1/4 the electricity (The running amps are NOT what you have shown in your table). Even if you double the runtime on low that is still a 50% saving on electricity.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok whew thanks...well I was certainly hoping my little calculation was wrong....just for fun, any idea where I find the running amps ? I pulled those numbers right from the tech specs of the pump.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ethany
    Do you really save much on your electric bill on low speed?
    Yes. Low speed of a two speed pump has 1/2 the flow rate of a high speed. Therefore, the pump needs to be run twice as long to get the same turnovers per day. The energy used at low speed is generally less than 1/4 of high speed. So even when you run the pump twice as long on low speed, you are saving around 50 - 55% on electricity to run the pump compared to running it on high-speed for half the time.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by toofast
    Ok whew thanks...well I was certainly hoping my little calculation was wrong....just for fun, any idea where I find the running amps ? I pulled those numbers right from the tech specs of the pump.
    It is not that simple ... I think it depends on the head loss that the pump experiences while at the different speed. Just trust the 1/2 flow at 1/4 the cost.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Gotcha - and trust I do for sure. As a forum moderator myself on a totally different subject - I get the expertise in this forum...but far the best on the web!

Thanks much!

8. Back To Top    #8

Well, since I happen to have your 1HP pump in Mark's tools for the other thread. Here are some numbers:
    Using a cost of $0.125/kW and 4 hours run time:
    High speed ... 4 hours/day = $0.55/day = $16.62/mo
    Low speed ... 4 hours/day = $0.14/day = $4.24/mo .... double the run time and it is $8.48/mo

EDIT: Now whether I used the tool correctly or not ... who knows
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Awesome

10. Back To Top    #10

When our old pump fails I've considered a 2 speed, but Hubby keeps fixing the old one Saves the cost of buying a new one, but I'd like to see the energy savings... If I can get myself to spend the extra money on the 2 speed when the time comes.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

11. Back To Top    #11

Wow...that's substantial. Low speed it is. I usually run it 10 hrs day on high.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights

12. Back To Top    #12

I am thinking of buying a t106. How do most people determine how long you run the pump on high/low?

13. Back To Top    #13

You really only need high if the skimming is not working well enough. Start with 1 hour on high and the rest on low and see what happens.
    Jason, TFP Moderator