Hi. New member. Why didnt anyone tell me this...??

Well, the CYA test is the one that the pool stores tend to be the worst at ... so either or both of those results could be suspect.

IF it is at 40ppm, that is a good place to be for the shock process as the required FC numbers are not as high ... your shock level is now 15ppm.
The 8.25% is the strength of the newer bleach, getting close to the strength of the actual pool liquid chlorine.
Starting with 0 FC, you would need about 5 of the 121oz 8.25% jugs to get you up to shock level.
Problem is, until you have the test kit, it is impossible to re-test in an hour or so and bump it back up to that level.

Do you have any chlorine test?

Yes. I have my old kit (tf100 should be here soon). Chlorine test only goes to 3ppm but I go by shades of orange to red when shocking. The 8.25% bleach says it's 7.25% available. I read 8.25% is volume - ??

I got it up to only 6 after adding over 12 jugs in 24hrs and today its maybe 4-5. Ive read as many 'attacking algae' posts I could find. I know I have to keep it at shock level, checking often as it gets used up. But I am still going thru loads of chlorine. All I can wonder, is the algae fighting it down?

I really wish I couldve ordered the new test kit earlier but it just wasnt possible. I'd know my CYA level for sure.

Good news is pool looks better, tho not great. I bought a new Baracuda diaphragm. Nobody here replied with advice so I stuck with what I knew. Wary of the generic ones w/out more info.

If the color is changing you are making progress ... once you have the TF100 you will wonder how you managed without it.

How often are you having to backwash? ARe you doing it at a 20-25% rise over the clean pressure?

Hi Shoreline. Welcome to TFP!!!

Sometimes it takes some doing to get ahead of a pool, but then it can truly be troublefree.

Six months ago I knew NOTHING about pool care. Stumbled onto this site same as you. Within two months pool went from green to sparkling and as long as I stay ahead of it it will stay that way with minimal upkeep on my part. That means minimal expense too. A few minutes a day is all it takes anymore. You will actually start looking forward to the time spent tending to your pool because it will continue to sparkle. And you wont be reacting to what your pool is doing, you will have the tools to be pro-active. (read that knowledge and a good test kit)

Welcome again and let us know when your pool starts sparkling.

We can get you out of the pool-stored syndrome. Just be patient.

You will get a lot of advice, all good.

As for answer to backwashing question, I thought it said backwash at 8lbs over clean on the filter guide. My pool always goes to 10 when clean which would mean wait til 18. That does seem awfully dirty. I backwash around 13 or 14 I think. It seems to tell me when it needs it. Sounds funny, I know. Right now its about to 12, so thats 20% if I understand you.

I cant wait to test the CYA myself. Ordered Monday (or was it Sunday?) but no kit yet....

SOOO, I went into the ol'pool store to see what they'd say my CYA was at just out of curiosity. The nt before, Leslies had said it was 40. Well the guy said he tested the water, but couldnt give me the CYA. (so what DO they test I wondered) I asked if he would do that too. He comes back and plunks a big 10lb Dichlor 90% on the counter. Almost rings me up. So I ask a couple questions. He then asks me IF I'd mind the product bleaching out my blue/grey gunnite! I played along and asked "how much?" He says "like WHITE". :shock: AYFKM!!!

Then he says no, he'll get something else. (Still didn't tell me CYA #) Comes back with another 10lb tub of Dichlor granules, 50% this time, and says to pour the whole thing in. So I ask again what the CYA is at. He hesitated and then said "uh, 200". WHAAAA??!!! (was 130, drained half or so, then 40, next day 200?) So I asked, "won't using this product make an already high CYA level worse?" He tells me, "ya, but it's already so high, it won't make a difference". I was blown away.

...sure, ya, it's horribly high, so lets dump in some MORE ...CRAZY!!

Its frustrating, and the expense is just killing me lately.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Realllllly enjoying this thread so far with the CYA bit from the pool store! :mrgreen:

Was wondering if you got the test kit and if you tested it yet?!!! Waiing for a magical CYA moment! :mrgreen:

Casey said:
Realllllly enjoying this thread so far with the CYA bit from the pool store! :mrgreen:
Ya, it's been ridiculous. Interestingly..
Leslies CYA test read 70 this wkend. If correct, this would mean the original 130 read was accurate too (b4 the 1/2 drain).

"Richard320" - I just might contact AZCentral. A local news investigative segment might be appropriate. Should've had my cell cam on!
lkalred said:
You will actually start looking forward to the time spent tending to your pool...you wont be reacting to what your pool is doing, you will have the tools to be pro-active.
Thanks. Counting on it. :wink:

So here's where Pooelle's at. (yep, I named the pool. I'm so tired of this shite, I'm trying to amuse myself to get thru it) Looks green n gross. Threw in a 1/2 dose of product a friend gave me called Pool 1st Aid. Looks no better. Ive run my G3 almost continually for over a week. The bottom stays covered in dead algae?/brown particles. I think the G3 is stirring it up more than anything. I plan to do a slow vac to waste from IN the pool, and try to get most of it.

Amazing!!!!! Checked out front and JUST got a pkg delivery! Finally! I recall theres a video link to see how to do a good CYA test. Gonna look for it.

Iaaic-1: Is that a big boxer taking a dip?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
shorelined said:
Threw in a 1/2 dose of product a friend gave me called Pool 1st Aid. Looks no better.

You may have well meaning friends, but try to resist the temptation of throwing in quick fix, "magic" products. The shock procedure defined in Pool School depends on having a well functioning pump and filter system. I believe the Pool 1st Aid product is a clarifier that could overload your filter with difficult to backwash clumps of congealed dead algae. That can be ugly. Be firm with all your "helpful" guests and tell them your on the right track and don't need their help. If you must satisfy a need for magic, stick some pins in a crumpled up pool store receipt. Everything will work out OK.

I hear you gtemkin. Sounds like that stuff is more potential for problems. I like the BBB concept and plan to follow what i can tonight after vacuuming. I still have loads of dead algae.

I DID THE CYA TEST - AT LAST!

Three times - I did it twice, a friend once. I got exactly 70 each, friend got 65ish. The pool guy who did the 1st and last was correct. I thought he was the same employee on the 2nd but no. Results say 'tech's name' but it uses managers name, which is pointless. Going in a store for a subjective test like that, it would be good to know who did it, and have the same person do it again.

Like what y'all said, it can be way off, low or high. Being told 40 and 200 a day apart proves it!

Isaac - Some 'runt'! I think he's gorg. I realize some can get twice that tho.

Hey shorelined--sounds like you are a true TFPer! I posted earlier and am butting in now (please forgive me?) to tell isaac-1 what a handsome dog he has. Reminds me SO much of my Bullmastiff mix that got his "wings" on March 26 of last year. Thanks Isaac-1 for pleasant memories even though it brought a couple of tears.

Me too! Lost a Rotty/Boxer only 7yrs old.... Looked like a 95lb Orwell.

Sooooo, I have no vac to waste option on my sand filter system. Tried to vac to backwash. No good. I CAN NOT get rid of the algae dust at all. This is really obnoxious.

shorelined said:
Sorry about the signature lacking. I got as much info off the system I could see but not sure about flow rate. A new Triton II on line said up to 20 GPM flow, but mine is 4yrs old.

I have the new Leslie's test. (Awaiting tf-100) Same guy who did test 8 days ago did it last nt. Here's their results:

Date-------6/3------6/11
FAC---------4---------0
CYA-------130-------40
TA--------110------110
pH----------7.6-------8
Phos------700------100

TDS-----1800-----1800 (Curious. Is this from water hardness, being the same after apprx a 50% drain/refill)

IF this is accurate, is the 40 CYA now a little low for my direct Phoenix sunlight?

I did my own pH test (1st time, w/old kit) and I got 8.2. Anyway, I added 5 cups of muratic acid and my test now says 7.4.
All those bottles of bleach and chlorine I put in since refilling did nada I guess. I just bought another 6 gallons of hm depot 10% AND 8 -121oz bleach bottles which say 8.25% (by weight I think), 7.25% available chlorine. I'm about to look at the calculator to see what it says to add. It feels like I'm adding chlorine to no end.

Update: I put in the recommended 4 gal of 10% liq chlorine to shock it at 16, but soon after it was only at 3ppm!?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Just looking at your test results shows why you need a kit .... there is no way CYA will go from 110 down to 40 without draining water so one of those two tests is WAY off. :roll:

Your chlorine is being used up as it kills algae.

Post your test results when your kit shows up and after knowing your water chemistry it will be easier to attack the problem.

Have everything in range, but I'd like to edge CYA down a bit. The water looks good, its just the algae dust is thick on the bottom and steps. Without a multiport valve on my sand system, I cant get it out thru a to-waste option. I tried to vacuum it to the filter but you can see it blowing right back thru the returns. Trying to vac to backwash doesnt work at all.

Posted in another category asking how to add a to-waste valve but after 62 views, no suggestions yet.

PLEASE, somebody???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support