Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie Here

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Here

Hello All, I am a new member to the forum. Glad to be part of this awesome pool community. A little about me. My name is Robert. I have lived in Oregon all my life with no pool until now. I just recently moved to Las Vegas, Nevada and rented a house with a pool in April. First pool ever. I have learned a lot in the past 2 months but wanted to share my pool and experiences thus far.

Here she is in all her glory. Freshly Filled and Opened:

My problem when I came home from work to find the landscapers blew all the yard debris into my pool and turned it green:
    Quickly cleared up with 2lbs of Shock

Everything was going well up until last week when I left it alone for a week and it turned Swampy on me:
    This is after 3 Cups of Muriatic Acid and 2lbs of Shock

Pulled my filter to find out the consequences of my neglect:

After a good cleaning, we are good to go:

With Chlorine Good and PH Good I added 9 cap fulls of Pool First aid:

Here is the jankie pump and filter setup I cant comprehend:
    (Rental Home) 17k Gallon, Fiberglass In-ground, Hayward 1.5HP Single Speed, Cartridge Filter, Kreepy Krawly Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Here

Hi, welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome.

Read pool school, multiple times. Stop adding shock (we need to know what kind you are adding though) in case it contains CYA (aka: Cyanuric Acid, or Stabilizer). You could end up with bigger issues to deal with. Too much will lead to timely and sometimes costly water replacement. Most here manage chlorine levels in the pool with just liquid chlorine (bleach). You don't get all of the extra stuff in the water that you don't need.

If you don't have a good test kit, (t 100 is popular here) we all suggest you obtain one so you can know what the chemistry of your water is doing.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit
    Pool School, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by joshs2000ss
    Welcome.

Read pool school, multiple times. Stop adding shock (we need to know what kind you are adding though) in case it contains CYA (aka: Cyanuric Acid, or Stabilizer). You could end up with bigger issues to deal with. Too much will lead to timely and sometimes costly water replacement. Most here manage chlorine levels in the pool with just liquid chlorine (bleach). You don't get all of the extra stuff in the water that you don't need.

If you don't have a good test kit, (t 100 is popular here) we all suggest you obtain one so you can know what the chemistry of your water is doing.
    I have read pool school. Im sure I will have it memorized by the time im done with this rental property. I have used Power Powder Plus until I was told it was not good for fiberglass pools by my Leslie's. So this last time I used Chlorabrite. I planned to use Bleach from here on out. I learned that in pool school. Same with my Phosphates being at 300 and declining the purchase of PhosFree.

I have a test kit that came with the house. Its a Leslie's 4way. I believe the drops are old and need replaced.
    Thats my next purchase. The Chemicals I now have on hand are Muratic Acid, Bleach, 3"Tbs, and Pool First Aid. We like how silky and soft it makes the water. Is it ok to use this weekly?
    (Rental Home) 17k Gallon, Fiberglass In-ground, Hayward 1.5HP Single Speed, Cartridge Filter, Kreepy Krawly Pool Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

Also does my pump and filter setup look backwards?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bigblueho
    Welcome.

I have a test kit that came with the house. Its a Leslie's 4way. I believe the drops are old and need replaced.
    Thats my next purchase.
    Don't buy the test strips, go ahead and get a good test kit. They aren't capable of measuring all of the things you need to know accurately, especially if you ever need to shock, which you might with the current state of your pool.
    15x32 vinyl liner, 14,400 gal, 1.4hp Centurion pump, 3/4 hp booster pump, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 heater (digital readout)
    Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator, Hayward Phantom cleaner, TF 100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

The flow appears correct, although I will say that setup is quite interesting. If I were the one putting in a pool, I wouldn't have let an installer get away with that mess.

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP!

11. Back To Top    #11

The flow appears correct, although I will say that setup is quite interesting. If I were the one putting in a pool, I wouldn't have let an installer get away with that mess.
    So what is my 3 way valve for if its at the end of the system vs begnning? Also in the position shown the skimmer works and returns work. Turned the other way my pool does nothing. Calm.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm not familiar with those valvet types, but I've seen several posts here concerning them. Can you get a wider shot of the equipment so we can see all of the pipes and valves?