Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to wire 2 speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

How to wire 2 speed pump

i am having the same problem on how to wire ? two hot wires land where ? and no nuetral from gfci breaker to pump?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Superpump 2-speed 230V 1HP wiring help

Quote Originally Posted by bnterrill
    i am having the same problem on how to wire ? two hot wires land where ? and no nuetral from gfci breaker to pump?
    Hots are L1 and L2 or Line1 and Line2. No neutral on a 220V setup.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

One line should go to L1, the other line should go to the center of the switch.

That diagram is not very good.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The switch is full. Came like that from the manufacturer. No where to hook another wire

5. Back To Top    #5

One hot goes on terminal #1 and the other hot goes on terminal #3 or #4 whichever it's labeled in the motor. The switch is already wired internally.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok did that. No. Motor doesnt run. But i can manually trip gfci breaker by hand so i have power to breaker

7. Back To Top    #7

The speed switch should have three(3) positions; low-off-high. It isn't on off is it?
    Did you try both high and low?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

My switch feels like it only has two positions. I will try again later. So out of my gfci breaker what do i do with my nuetral. Dont use it?

9. Back To Top    #9

Its only a 2 position switch

10. Back To Top    #10

A photo if the wiring and the wiring diagram on the motor would help.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Mine only had 2 positions as well and I had to connect the second line to the middle of the switch. Where does the wire from the middle of the switch connect?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

The Superpump has 2 position switch and power should go to L1 and L2. Did you test the lines going to the motor terminals to make sure you have power directly to the motor?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

13. Back To Top    #13

Re: How to wire 2 speed pump

Wire from the middle of the switch goes to L3 terminal. I just dont wanna hook this up wrong and burn it up. I am pretty sure the incoming leads r hot but i cant test it right now i am at work. Plus i am working on uploading nameplate w diagram and picture of peckerhead.

14. Back To Top    #14

Did you ever get this resolved? If so, would you be able to post pictures? I'm dealing with the same issue.
    77000L (20500 gallon) Vinyl in-ground chlorine pool, 35'x,17', jandy stealth 1hp pump, jandy lite2 LJ400N heater, jandy st-t sand filter, Hayward chlorine feeder.

15. Back To Top    #15

Generally, a 2 speed has a common that is on #1, a "high" terminal and a "low" terminal. The switch takes one hot lead off the breaker and splits it between the high and low side windings. The other hot lead from the breaker goes to the common terminal. No neutral.

Like jason said, post up a wiring diagram.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.