Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I put my heater inside?

1. Back To Top    #1

Clarksville, TN

Should I put my heater inside?

Looking to buy a heater soon and I am debating if it could go inside with the rest of the equipment. I assume it would need to be vented. I was thinking it may fit to the left of the filter. Any expert thoughts?
    34,000 gal., 20x40 Roman, IG Steel/Vinyl, 500# Hayward Sand Filter, 2HP Ecostar-VS, Savi Note LEDs, Autopilot Digital 220 SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    South Florida

Re: Should I put my heater inside?

Without question, heaters require clear, open, unfettered, unhampered air space all around them.
    I would suggest you haven't sufficient room to install the heater inside your shed.
    Further, it would block access to everthing else in its area.
    And you didn't mention whether the heater would be wood-fired, coal, fired, propane, natural gas, solar-powered, or 220/240 electric-powered.
    Each of those will have very specific intalllation instructions, and I personally don't know of any that are to be installed indoors. You are dealing with plastics and wood, and coated wiring, which can melt and burn, and I don't believe you can "fire-proof" your shed.
    Perhaps someone else has additional info....

Beautiful set-up, great plumbing job, too.

Alan in Wellington, FL - near West Palm Beach
    15,200 gal IG, painted plaster, 1988; 200 SqFt cartridge filter, 2013; 1.5 HP 1-speed pump (uprated), 2005; heat pump, 2005;
    soon to repair (dead) SWG AquaRite T-15 cell, 2005, and replace (dead) suction-side cleaner, 2005.
    Almost everything died this winter 2012-'13, and I know we shouldn't complain... but, Arrgh!

3. Back To Top    #3

western NY

Gas fired can most definatly go inside a structure. You will need to be aware of the type you purchase to make sure it comes with a proper vent kit for it. You will also have to check on clearances needed. All units will come with a spec sheet that tells you what clearances are needed around all sides as well as around the venting system. I would also suspect you will need to move the control circuitry you have mounted on the wall in that area.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Without knowing specicfic measurements I don't think there is enough room to get necessary clearances to meet manufacturers requirements. Most heaters will require 18" to combustible materials.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Besides the spec sheet you should also check on any code compliance issue there might be by having it enclosed and if any code clearance requirements would be greater than the minimum the manufacturer recommends.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

In my opinion, the best thing to do would be to consult a local HVAC contractor as to what your heater options are.