Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better PH test kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

Better PH test kit?

I have the OTO ph/ chlorine test that came with the TFT 100 but hate trying to decipher the reading. Is there a drop test or anything else that is easier to test PH? I have looked on TFT test kits and didn't see anything else for Ph.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Better PH test kit?

Nope. That's about all there is that isn't for a laboratory and cheap enough for ordinary folks.

I find it helpful to hold the test block at arm's length and squint so it gets fuzzy. Then you see colors, not markings. A white background also helps. I have cheap resin chairs on the patio that make a good backdrop.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

There are electronic meters, but they have the downside of needing frequent calibration, also the acceptable range for pH in pools is fairly wide, so you don't really need the extra resolution.

Ike

p.s. experience also helps reading the test, remember your trying to match the color shade not the intensity
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I find that time of day impacts greatly, late evening seems to provide best contrast whereas afternoon sun makes it very hard.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

Man that stinks. I would kill for a ph test kit to use the speed stir with. Lol. That thing will spoil you. I use the little white cloth thing that was included but half the time just end up guessing. I can tell the different between 7.2 and 7.8 but not 7.5 and 7.8 so much.
    18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

6. Back To Top    #6

Check these pictures out. The first is clearly 7.5 while the last 2 are 8.2+:
    accurate-ph-test-during-shock-levels-with-r-007-t61076.html

We should really add a thread with photos of all the colors ......
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks jblizzle. My biggest problem is the 7.5 and 7.8 difference. Is the acid demand ph test kit that has the white card behind it easier to read? I remember watching a YouTube video that showed that kind of test kit but can't remember who makes it.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by kyle11
    Thanks jblizzle. My biggest problem is the 7.5 and 7.8 difference. Is the acid demand ph test kit that has the white card behind it easier to read? I remember watching a YouTube video that showed that kind of test kit but can't remember who makes it.
    I have the Taylor K-2006 combo kit, which may be slightly different from the TF-100 when testing pH. When I test pH, I do it indoors. I have bright-white LED lighting, and I hold the sample up with a white paper towel behind it, which usually makes it pretty clear what the pH level is closest to. I agree, when it's in-between sometimes it can be hard to tell.

The Taylor kit comes with Acid / Base demand reagents (R-0005 / R-0006), which I find helpful to narrow it down. With 1 or 2 drops it becomes distinctly clear when I'm at 7.5. I dose with Muriatic Acid accordingly. In my experience, the Acid Demand drops provide a much more accurate dose compared to the poolcalculator.com estimate (which is generally off by a factor of 2 compared to the Acid Demand drops from my own observations).

Taylor does have more heavy-duty pH tests available, but they are not very economic. I have no experience with these kits, so I can't provide a recommendation, but you can check them out here:

http://www.taylortechnologies.com/produ ... ultsII.asp (search for pH on this page)
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

9. Back To Top    #9

What would you call this? At 1st glance I see 7.5 but could pass for 7.8 also. Maybe I just need to go to the eye doctor.

[attachment=0:2fh81vff]ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369960974.562665.jpg[/attachment:2fh81vff]
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

Looks closer to 7.5 to me, not as much purple as 7.8
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

11. Back To Top    #11

I'd call that 7.5. With practice, you'll be able to tell if it's closer to 7.5 or 7.8 which allows you to say 7.6 or 7.7.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok thanks guys. I thought 7.5 but I guess I keep looking at it and over think it. I guess deep down my inner chemist wants to play with some MA.

13. Back To Top    #13

One more question about this topic and I am sorry I am a little OCD about getting #s right on ( I deal with #s all day so that probably has something to do with it)

Does not filling it all the way up to the very top small black like make a difference? Would that be throwing the test off that tiny bit making the 7.5 and 7.8 more hard to differentiate? Because I do not think I ever will it up to that line.

14. Back To Top    #14

It absolutely makes a difference. You should be filling your block up to the fill line, otherwise your results may not be accurate.
    See Extended Test Kit Directions. The phenol red included with your test kit is formulated to produce a result for the quantity of water up to the fill line. The bottom of the meniscus should be at the top of the fill line.
    Matt
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by thehowheels
    It absolutely makes a difference. You should be filling your block up to the fill line, otherwise your results may not be accurate.
    See Extended Test Kit Directions. The phenol red included with your test kit is formulated to produce a result for the quantity of water up to the fill line. The bottom of the meniscus should be at the top of the fill line.
    Ok thanks. That may be why it is always so hard for me to tell a difference. I read the directions the kit came with and it said it doesn't have to be perfect so I just usually filled to just above the 8.2. On all my other I make sure they are exact but I will test paying more attention to that and see if it makes a difference.

16. Back To Top    #16

I second thehowheels comment. I also have a test kit with acid demand solution and it might make it easier if you have trouble differentiating small differences. http://tftestkits.net/Taylor-K-2006-p27.html
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

17. Back To Top    #17

Actually, I don't think the amount of water matters much. Because you can use a different number of drops to change the saturation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

18. Back To Top    #18

For what it's worth, I just took a reading from my pool. Filling the block up correctly to the fill line, and using 5 drops R-0004, I was clearly at 7.5.
    I cleaned, and refilled the block, up to about where it looks like in the photo above (the top of the 8.2 box), and again used 5 drops R-0004. The result is clearly a shade deeper red, I'd guess 7.6. It took 1 drop of Acid Demand reagent to get back to 7.5.

This isn't going to make a drastic difference if you maintain your pool within 0.1 pH accuracy, but I did see a difference with my, admittedly, unscientific test.
    Matt

19. Back To Top    #19

Then that contradicts with what the extended test directions state about using more or less drops to allow a better color match by changing the saturation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Then that contradicts with what the extended test directions state about using more or less drops to allow a better color match by changing the saturation.
    I want to play around with this some more, and will post my results. I'm out of phenol red!
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast