Hope I'm doing it correctly, New to BBB this year

Myrose

Jun 17, 2010
Hi there,

Thanks in advance for your help.

We opened our pool 5 days ago, and I would like to try BBB. I usually use 3" tabs in the auto chlorinator, and was limited with funds so I bought the HTH small canister. What a waste of money! dissolved all 11 or so tabs in 5 days. I'd like to try the BBB method which I've read about here for the past 4 years but want to know if I'm doing it right.

Took cover off, gross almost black water. Cleaned our DE filter, added back DE, and shocked. Backwash was crazy, needed to be done often. Took filter apart again, hosed it off, replaced DE.

Started to turn light green, Shocked, vaccumed, got leaves off bottom.

Every time I would shock (two bags of the HTH super) I would get a high CL reading, then an hour later back to nothing.

Back out there today (in the rain, talk about dedication!) Pool definately lighter green. Vaccumed, brushed, shocked. This time when I measured 2 hours later the FC was 10.

I'm hoping I'm on the right track. Here's my numbers.

FC 10
PH 7.8
TA 80
TH 200
CYA 30
22,000 Vinyl with DE filter.

If I understand correctly, if the FC holds, and water clears, all is good?
I then have to figure out how to add the bleach to the water for maintenence. I have 8% bleach. I tried the pool calc but hate to say that I'm just no good at figuring it out, sorry.

Thanks so much!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Have you read Pool School? Specifically these:
Defeating Algae
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis
Shocking Your Pool

What are you using to do your testing? Does not sound like one of the recommended test kits that contain the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

The BBB method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS.

Using 6 way strip while waiting for my Taylor test kit.
Any advice in the mean time would be great!
I have read the recommended links, thank you. It's how I am getting the courage to get away from the pool store :)

Hard to actually believe any of the numbers from a strip test. I would just continue to monitor the FC and keep it around the max of the strip and when your REAL kit arrives, do a full set of tests and post the results.

You need to pass the 3 criteria in the Shock Process article to know when the process is complete ... but you need the FAS-DPD in order to check those criteria.

You need to re-read the links blizzle gave you and understand the "shock process". See red lines in my sig.
I then have to figure out how to add the bleach to the water for maintenence. I have 8% bleach. I tried the pool calc but hate to say that I'm just no good at figuring it out, sorry.
No problem. Assumming 22K gal pool and 8% bleach, each quart will add about 1 ppm FC. Just test, determine how many FC you need and multiply by one quart-ish. That's all you need to remember for maintenance.

Welcome to tfp, Myrose :wave:

jbliz and BF gave you some good advice, make sure you read those pool school articles!

Myrose said:
Using 6 way strip while waiting for my Taylor test kit.
If you can cancel that order, the tf-100 usually ships faster and is a better value.

Myrose said:
Read the shocking article jbliz pointed to, it is slightly more detailed and concrete than that, particuraily CC<0.5 and an Overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) of <1 ppm FC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.