Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green pool........... new pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Green pool........... new pool owner

I am a new pool owner. I read threw the "shock Process" and I'm confused now.
    My water sample numbers are as followed
    FC=6.8ppm
    TC=7.7ppm
    CC=.8ppm
    pH=7.5
    Hardness=229ppm
    ALK=122ppm
    CYA=40ppm

With chlorine numbers that high shouldn't I be winning the battle with the algae?
    Thanks for your help
    Jon
    31' round, 21k gal, AG, sand filter, chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green pool........... new pool owner

The shock level is 16 ppm for a pool with a Cya level of 40, so no, you are not winning the war just yet.

You'll need to check your FC level frequently, every hour at first, to ensure your FC stays at or above 16, adding chlorine if it drops below.

Your results look like they came from a pool store, so the results might be questionable. We recommend ordering a good test kit. See the Pool School link for more info.
    28K, 20' x 40' IG - Vinyl Liner, Hayward DE Filter, 1.5HP Pump, 250K Hayward BTU Heater, Aquabot Breeze 4WD robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Quote Originally Posted by greenpool74
    With chlorine numbers that high shouldn't I be winning the battle with the algae?
    Unfortunately the answer is no. "High" is a relative term. Your FC needs to be high with respect to your CYA level. At a CYA of 40, your FC needs to be at 15 for shocking.

The higher the CYA, the better it protects FC from sunlight (which is good). The higher the CYA, the less FC is actually going to do the work of cleaning your pool (which is not so good). Hence, the higher your CYA level, the higher your FC level needs to be. This is the heart of the FC/CYA relationship.

In your case, your CYA is binding up most of your FC. While some of the algae is dying, it is still multiplying faster than the FC can kill it, which is why you need to raise the FC level to 15 (or slightly higher). Hopefully Richard320 can get in here with either a battlefield or escalator analogy soon.

Two questions while we're at it....How are you testing your water? Have you read through the Complete Table of Contents in Pool School?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

greenpool74:

Welcome to TFP

You are at the point I was when I first learned about TFP. The first step is you need to "unlearn" the old conventional (and incorrect) wisdom of maintaining an FC between 1-3 and anything above that is shock level.

The proper FC maintenance and shock levels are dependent on your CYA level (refer to Chlorine/CYA Chart in my sig). Given your CYA of 40 ppm, your minimum maintenance FC level is 3 ppm and the ideal target FC is 5 ppm. Your shock level FC is 16 ppm.

Given that your CC is greater than 0.5ppm, you need to go through the Shock Process (link in my sig) and aim for a target FC level of 16 ppm throughout that process. Before you begin the shock process, I would lower pH to around 7.2. This will make the chlorine more aggressive as a sanitizer. Once you begin the shock process, do not test pH as the shock FC levels can throw off the test results. You can retest pH after the Shock Process when FC levels return below shock level.

Your ALK (TA) and Hardness (CH) look good.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok I went back and opened the "chlorine/cya chart". (I overlooked) Yall are correct I'm no where near the FC shock level. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed and am rushing my reading. I need to slow down lol.......... my daughter keeps asking why the pool looks like that. Thanks for quick replies. I will continue to read through entire table of contents under pool school.

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok I went back and opened the "chlorine/cya chart". (I overlooked) Yall are correct I'm no where near the FC shock level. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed and am rushing my reading. I need to slow down lol.......... my daughter keeps asking why the pool looks like that. Thanks for quick replies. I will continue to read through entire table of contents under pool school.
    How are you getting the test results?

Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

I am ashamed to admit it after reading the "recommended test kits", but I am using test strips and I went to pool store and had it tested :-/

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm getting a bit overwhelmed and am rushing my reading. I need to slow down lol..........
    As the old saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day." You'll get there and your coming to the right place for help!
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

9. Back To Top    #9

I have been battling between listening to an older gentleman tell me basically the "BBB" method and another guy tell me to "just go to poolstore". So Ive been caught inbetween.

10. Back To Top    #10

I have been battling between listening to an older gentleman tell me basically the "BBB" method and another guy tell me to "just go to poolstore". So Ive been caught inbetween.
    Understand your dilemma. I don't convince easily either. I stumbled around during my first year as a pool owner under the "pool store method". But the more I read about BBB and the chemistry behind it, it made more and more sense and I took the leap of faith and have never looked back. Here's my Before & After story: http://www.troublefreepool.com/bbb-s...ar-t54033.html

11. Back To Top    #11

So I went on line and ordered the TF100 test kit late last night. I'll be glad when I get that so I can more closely monitor my FC level. Any advice what I should do until test kit arrives? Keep adding bleach until green starts to fade?? Thanks in advance for help.

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes I would say you could safely add a jug of bleach each evening until the kit arrives. You can also use the strips even tho not accurate to see if the FC is even registering at all....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

13. Back To Top    #13

According to my strips my FC is around 10 or higher. My three way test kit from Walmart indicates its way higher than 7. If my FC is higher than 16, shouldn't the algae start dying and pool color changing faster than what it is????

14. Back To Top    #14

According to my strips my FC is around 10 or higher. My three way test kit from Walmart indicates its way higher than 7. If my FC is higher than 16, shouldn't the algae start dying and pool color changing faster than what it is????
    Scroll through the thread list in the Algae Forum. Some people struggle for weeks to eradicate the green.

It didn't get like that in one day, it will take more than a day to get rid of it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

ok finally I get to update.....
    just got my TF100 test kit in and ran the samples. results are...
    FC- 45 drops= 22.5 FC
    CC- 1 drop= .5CC
    TC- 30
    TA- 21 drops= 210
    CH- 48 drops= 480
    CYA= 51

Pool is blue, getting clear but kinda cloudy.......... Where should I go from here? The pump has been running 24/7
    Thanks for everyones help

16. Back To Top    #16

also PH around 7.3..............

17. Back To Top    #17

Give it another day above 16 FC and if it stalls, report back for the next suggestion.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

18. Back To Top    #18

Should I continue to run pump 24/7?

19. Back To Top    #19

Yes, run the pump/filter 24x7 untill done shocking.

Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher) With CYA at 50, you shock level is closer to 20ppm

Repeat as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
    An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
    And the water is clear.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

20. Back To Top    #20

Your readings are confusing .....tc=fc+cc so 22.5+.5 is 23 not 30?
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast