Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter pressure doubles in less than 24hours

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter pressure doubles in less than 24hours

Hello. This is my first time posting on TFP. See my signature for details of equipment.

My pressure is running very high (30+). I backwashed yesterday morning at 10am for 3 mins and then rinse for 30 sec. Cleaned out skimmer baskets and pump filter basket. During backwash, pressure is 11 psi. After backwash, pressure is 13 psi. By 10am today, pressure is 31 psi. The sand was changed in April of this year. Pressure was still increasing. After I found TFP, I read pool school and changed the pressure gauge and a new pump filter basket. Nothing seems to be working to keep the pressure from more than doubling every 24 hours. My heater won't work when the pressure gets above 22. The LCD screen on the heater says PRS - CLEAN FILTER/STRAINER.

The water was clear yesterday but is cloudy today. We had a lot of rain storms last night so that might be why it's cloudy today.

TC = 2
    FC = 3
    CC = 1
    PH = 7.6
    TA = 80
    CH = don't have test for this
    CYA = don't have test for this
    Borates = don't use

Please help!!

Thanks,
    ARS
    Pool: 10K gal, IG PebbleTec, Pentair
    Spa: 500 gal, IG PebbleTec, Pentair
    Built 2010

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter pressure doubles in less than 24hours

Cloudy water is indicative of a chemistry problem. Without knowing the CYA level, it's anybody's guess if the FC level is adequate. My guess is it's not. You're filtering out algae too small to see with the naked eye, but more is growing to replace it, hence the filter being overwhelmed. You need to get on top of it and start killing it faster than it can reproduce if you ever want to have crystal clear sparkly water.

[center:1ks521rv][/center:1ks521rv]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what Richard320 said....your filter is doing it's job. Whether you can see it or not, you've got junk in your pool, almost surely algae, that is filling up your filter. Almost always from inadequate chlorine.

Can you post a set of test results and tell us how you are chlorinating your pool?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick reply Richard! What do you suggest for testing CYA? I added 2 lbs of shock last night and I have a floating chlorinator with 3" tablets - all from Leslie Pool Supply
    Built 2010

5. Back To Top    #5

The water was clear yesterday but is cloudy today. We had a lot of rain storms last night so that might be why it's cloudy today. Just tested this an hour ago:

TC = 2
    FC = 3
    CC = 1
    PH = 7.6
    TA = 80
    CH = don't have test for this
    CYA = don't have test for this
    Borates = don't use
    Built 2010

6. Back To Top    #6

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

If nothing else - get the test strips that have 6-7 tests on them. One will almost certainly be CYA. The better test kits would give you better results, of course, but even the strips are better than nothing.
    16x32 IG 19,000 gallons, Pentair 1.5 hp Energy Efficient Superflo pump (348024),vinyl liner, Chlorine dispenser, Hayward S-244T sand filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Ordering the TF-100 now. Any feedback on the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer add-on option for the kit? Is it worth it?
    Built 2010

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ARSayeed
    Ordering the TF-100 now. Any feedback on the Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer add-on option for the kit? Is it worth it?
    Worth it.
    Check the responses.

10. Back To Top    #10

Great! Thanks for all the replies. I just ordered the TF-100 with the Speedstir option. I'll repost results once I receive the kit. Anything I can do in the meantime while I'm waiting for the kit?
    Built 2010

11. Back To Top    #11

Only use bleach / liquid chlorine, no powdered chlorine products and keep the FC level around where you have it or a little higher until you can get good test results
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok. I received the test kit TF-100 yesterday (thanks Dave S for getting this out quickly!!). Per the last post, I stopped putting tablets or shock in the pool and have used bleach to chlorinate.

Here are my test results:
    TC = 4
    FC = 4
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.4
    TA = 120
    CH = 400
    CYA = 20
    Borates = don't use yet

The pressure is still at 31 psi. I have not backwashed since last Saturday May 4th. The water is very clear and looks good. What else should I do besides backwash to see if they pressure goes down??
    Built 2010

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry...my mistake...I last backwashed on Sunday the 19th.
    Built 2010

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok. I received the test kit TF-100 yesterday (thanks Dave S for getting this out quickly!!). Per the last post, I stopped putting tablets or shock in the pool and have used bleach to chlorinate.

Here are my test results:
    TC = 4
    FC = 4
    CC = 0
    PH = 7.4
    TA = 120
    CH = 400
    CYA = 20
    Borates = don't use yet

The pressure is still at 31 psi. I have not backwashed since last Saturday May 4th. The water is very clear and looks good. What else should I do besides backwash to see if they pressure goes down??
    You have room to add more CYA, so for a little while, pucks are okay. But had it been high, you were wise to stop. There's just no way to know without testing!

If the temperature is acceptable,

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks Richard320! Appreciate the advice. How would I add more CYA? Just leave the pucks in longer or do I need to add anything else?
    Built 2010

16. Back To Top    #16

You may add CYA by buying it separately and adding it via the sock method. That's the fastest and simplest way to get it right. And if you have difficulty figuring out how many pucks to add and what it will do to the chemistry, that's what I'd recommend. But if you still have some half-dissolved pucks in the floater, you can put it back in.

17. Back To Top    #17

Perfect! Thank you!
    Built 2010

18. Back To Top    #18

Hi - I'm still having issues with my filter pump pressure increasing very quickly. I've shocked the pool every night for three nites raising the FC level to 12 with bleach. I backwashed this morning and the pressure was 13 after back washing. It is now at 32. I have to backwash twice a day and I can't figure out why.

Here are my test results using TFT-100:

TC = 3.5
    CC = 0
    FC = 3.5
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 80
    CH = 170
    CYA = 20 (I can still see the dot in the tube with the solution at the rim of the tube)

Could it be something else besides water chemistry?
    Built 2010

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Not very likely.
    I have to backwash twice a day and I can't figure out why.
    Again, your filter is doing it's job.....filtering out impurities from your pool whether or not you can see them.

1. You are not shocking the pool. read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

2. You should put in enough CYA to get to 30 ppm..pretty sure it is zero right now.

If you will get the CYA in there and shock the pool according to the article, your pool will be crystal clear and your frequent backwashing will stop. How does your water look this AM?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

20. Back To Top    #20

Hi - I'm still having issues with my filter pump pressure increasing very quickly. I've shocked the pool every night for three nites raising the FC level to 12 with bleach. I backwashed this morning and the pressure was 13 after back washing. It is now at 32. I have to backwash twice a day and I can't figure out why.

Here are my test results using TFT-100:

TC = 3.5
    CC = 0
    FC = 3.5
    PH = 7.5
    TA = 80
    CH = 170
    CYA = 20 (I can still see the dot in the tube with the solution at the rim of the tube)

Nope. One good blast of chlorine a day isn't quite the shock process. The folks who get obsessive and test and dose every two hours or so through the weekend seem to have the fastest cleanups. You're killing off some algae, but then the chlorine is used up and what's left is given a chance to reproduce. Hence the never-ending filter clogging. You want to kill a bunch, then kill a bunch more, and keep on killing until there's nothing left to reproduce. With the low CYA level, the sun gets to the chlorine before the chlorine can get to the algae. Read how others have succeeded:
    a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
    frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html be sure to look at page 2
    before-and-after-t36785.html
    a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast