Ive browsed this forum off and on for the better part of a year, we moved in last spring and the pool had been abused for years, filter clogged by somekind of algecide that turns into a goopy substance at bottom of pool clogged the filter, sand was replaced and about half the water before the year was over. Got it running and good numbers last year, but closed with a cya of 80 still. Opened this year and started shocking the beejebus out of it. Noticed it was just eating chlorine like there was no tomorrow. I have shocked overnight and during the day while cloudy/raining. It will not hold chlorine at all. There was a metric ton of organics in it though, we had a bad hail storm which perforated the pool cover and a couple trees down etc. When my swift self decided to stop dumping chlorine in and test everything else I noticed cya of 0, which still shouldn't matter on an overnight test i still should hold some fc. I have tested the cya three times myself and went to pool store for giggles. chlorine test i did oto and fas dpd. Is it still just consuming organics and the leftover walmart chems from the previous owner? Im getting ready to go buy about 70 bottles of 10% liquid chlorination and and shock this puppy till shes clear. I have a white foam, and cloudy water. Again i have used NO algecides or anything other than bleach/chlorine borax and soda ash in the past 18 months in it.
5 pounds of 56% cal hypo and 6 gallons of 10% was gone in about three hours, added three more gallons and it was gone in about 2 hours.
I am retired so ive got nothing but time on my hands plan is to get fc up to about 12/15 and keep pouring in chlorine and holding it there checking every couple hours 24/7 till it holds fc overnight.
Go ahead with the shock till it stops consuming chlorine overnight method? or am i missing something? For some reason it seems like a bad idea to add any cya till it holds fc overnight? Any thoughts would be appreciated.