check my numbers

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
Would you believe the snow has erased my memory of how to care for my pool? Every year I have to refresh my memory about what and how much to add.

I have topped off the pool and I'm ready to start adding stuff...
Here's what I have, and what I plan to add. Let me know if I'm off base anywhere.

FC : 0 (plan to add 565 oz of 8% to bring it to a shock of 11)
CC: 0
TC: 0
pH 7.4
TA: 150 ppm (would like this to be more like 90 but not sure what to do)
CYA still seeing the black dot at 20. (plan to add 88oz stabilizer and see where that gets me. Ideally I would like it to be 35 ppm)

We fought copper all last year. In hopes of getting ahead of the game, I plan to do a large treatment of HTH metal out before I shock the pool, then do the recommended maintenance dose weekly. I read somewhere that the metal out works better if there is little chlorine in the pool. Because of this, would it be OK to put the metal out in this afternoon, then put in my CYA socks and chlorine this evening?

that is what I'm hoping for. The first season we filled the pool with treated pond water. since, we have been topping off with softened water. We will see who has green hair this year. Thanks for such a fast response. I can always count on my TFP peeps!

Oh great and powerful pool wizard,

When I opened the pool, my CYA was below 20ppm. I have added CYA to the sock to bring it up to 35ppm (hopefully). In the meantime, should my suggested shock level be 11ppm or 14ppm?

Sincerely,
lowly laborer

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.