Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper amount of time to let gunite cure

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper amount of time to let gunite cure

What is the proper amount of time to let gunite cure??
    13K IG Pool with Raised Spa
    Jandy E Pump- 2HP Variable Speed
    Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter
    Jandy LXI 40,000 Heater
    Polaris 9300 Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper amount of time to let gunite cure

I started hosing mine down about 3 hours after they left. Put a sprinkler on it 90 minutes on/120 minutes off several times a day for 5 days. They said the best thing to help it cure would be a slow steady rain but we don't get much of that in AZ. Made my own.
    30' x 17' 14,000 Gallon Play Pool, Aqua Splash Beadcrete Interior, Hayward C7030 Filter, Hayward SP3400VSP Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Turbo-Cell 15 Salt Cell, Baja Shelf w/Periscopic Bubbler, 3 Scupper Water Feature, Paramount In-Floor Cleaning, Aqua Logic PS8 w/Aqua Pod Wireless Controller, TF-100 Test Kit, DM2000 Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker!!

3. Back To Top    #3

My PB told us to water 2 times a day for 7 days.

4. Back To Top    #4

Waiting a month for gunite to cure before applying plaster is recommended. As others have mentioned, it should be kept damp during curing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I had my gunite shot on June 18 and had the plaster applied the following April. That's an anomaly but the first month is very important that you keep it wet. You can nearly double the strength of concrete by doing so. I bought a garden soaker hose and ran it along the perimeter and kept it wet for the first month.
    In my case, I didn't want to plaster and fill the pool in late August just to close it in September, so I went over the winter looking at the gunite eyesore. The time also permitted the ground to settle- in some cases over 18" inches, which would have been awful for my eventual patio.
    24k gallon inground with 500 gallon spa, 580sqft Jandy cartridge filter, Jandy ePump 2HP variable speed pump, Jandy 1400 SWG AquaCal Heat Pump, Diamondbrite Aqua Quartz plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

I like the idea with the sprinkler... We should have gunite done early tomorrow morning...
    13K IG Pool with Raised Spa
    Jandy E Pump- 2HP Variable Speed
    Jandy CV460 Cartridge Filter
    Jandy LXI 40,000 Heater
    Polaris 9300 Robot