will putting enough in to be over shock level do harm?

Apr 6, 2012
Puglia, Italy
Please start your own threads to avoid hijacking. Thanks, Butterfly

JohnT said:
All bathers increase a pool's chlorine consumption, but kids even more so.

A 1ppm drop in 12 hours is low and indicates good water conditions. You are always going to be adding that much chlorine to a pool in a day regardless of the source of the chlorine.

Puck feeders work for vacation if you can deal with the CYA rise, or if you have somebody who can just add your average dose to the pool every night, that will usually get you by, especially if you raise to shock level before you leave.
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar problem. Having just spent the last 2 weeks getting our pool near to perfect I am going away for a week next Thursday, and my husband has a lot to cope with looking after our warring dogs :lol: No-one will be swimming in our pool while I am away, so am I OK to mega dose the pool with chlorine, and just ask him to add chlorine (a large dose) in the middle of the week I am away. Would that keep it going until I get back and can check the numbers?

I am actually thinking of initially putting enough in to be over shock level, can I do any harm doing this.

Re: How do I know how much CYA to maintain?

OliveGrove said:
I am actually thinking of initially putting enough in to be over shock level, can I do any harm doing this.
It is not a good idea to exceed the shock FC level unless you are fighting a mustard algae outbreak. The shock level guidelines strike a balance between eradicating contaminants without being overly harsh on your pool surface and equipment. You can dose up to the high end of shock level or you could use the trichlor pucks while you are gone. Which is the best course of action depends largely on your CYA level.

newbie-based-in-italy-with-green-algae-problem-t42204.html

Sorry Butterfly, will do.

Knowing all the mistakes I made with CYA last year (see above thread) I want to avoid dichlor and trichlor like the plague.

OK I will put enough in to get it up to shock level, calculate how manly litres we would likely use per day, as per pool calculator, and ask him to put enough in mid week to bring it back up to shock level. I think doing this will prevent any major disastors until I get back.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.