Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain water

1. Back To Top    #1
    CT, USA

Rain water

I had my pool people tell me today rain water would bring my PH level down. I thought rain water drove PH up? Thoughts?
    17x27x37 (24000 gallons) Lagoon Vinyl liner, Hayward Eco VS Pump, Hayward 4350 DE Filter, Auto Pilot SWG, Savi LED Lighting, Maytronics Dolphin M4 Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Rain water

It really has very little impact either way.

Just test and adjust as normal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

After 2 days of heavy rain (relatively, this is SoCal after all!), my pH was unaffected.
    9k gallon, plaster, IG. Raised spa w/ spillover into pool. AO Smith Century Centurion / Purex Triton WisperFlo 0.5 HP, Hayward 1.5 HP (spa), Polaris 1-516-01 1.5 HP (blower). Hayward DE3620 36 ft2 72 GPM DE Filter, Polaris 145 cleaner. Pool built ~1980.
    Trouble-free, BBB since: April 25, 2013

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Only the HEAVIEST of rains will have any significant effect on your pool water chemistry. Even a deluge is normally insignificant.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    East Texas

Rain water is generally PH neutral. but the action of it breaking the surface of the water CAN raise PH-----just like using an aerator.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

Mason, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by mkmscr
    I had my pool people tell me today rain water would bring my PH level down.
    My PB told me the same thing - claims of "acid rain". Of course this was a part of the same conversation where they were trying to sell me pH Up because my pH was 7.3 ("and the acid rain will only make it worse"). I told them that I had read that between my SWG and the aeration from usage and my fountain, the pH would rise naturally. They said that only chemicals can raise pH. This was when my pool was new and I was just starting BBB. I'm glad I trusted TFP instead of my PB. I haven't been in their store since.
    34K gal IG, 37'x40' lagoon, vinyl, Pentair IntelliFlo VS Pump, 500# Hayward sand filter, Jandy SWG, Raypac heat pump, 4 deck jets, Hayward Super Pump + deck fountain, Dolphin Oasis Z5