New Pool in CT

Nov 19, 2012
Sharon, CT
Hi there. I'm looking for feedback on the equipment chosen for my new pool. It's under construction right now and I want to make sure that I'm making the best selections.

I care about:
- looks
- joy of use
- quiet (e.g.: soundproof pool shed? quieter gear?)
- energy efficiency
- being able to hook it up to my Savant home automation system and change settings via the internet

I don't care (nearly as much) about:
- up-front cost to buy & build

Basics:
19' x 50' rectangular in-ground pool
4' shallow end and 9' deep end
44,000 gallons

Pump: IntelliFlo VS-SVRS pump
Heater: Sta-Rite 400,000HD (propane fueled)
Cover: Coverstar automatic cover
Salt Chlorinator: I'm not sure exactly. So far I just know he's thinking goldline.
Control System: Goldline as well
Filter Type: not sure -- finding that out

What other questions should I ask about / issues should I think about? I know I'm asking these things pretty late in the game, but better late than never!

Thanks so much.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

That is a big pool and you are going to want a big filter. Have you given consideration as to the type of filter you want? pool-school/cleaning%20pool%20filters

Also realize, at least with Pentair, if you buy 3 pieces of equipment at the same time, they extend the warranty from 1 year to 3 years. I think the Intelliflo and the Heater would count as 2, so either the automation or filter should also likely be pentair/sta-rite to get that extension ... may want to check with the builder on that.

The automation and SWG should be the same brand. Also the Intelliflo may work better with the Pentair automation systems.

Also, based on a desire to hook into your home automation, Hayward/Goldline may not be the best choice for the automation/SWG. I think this may be easier with other brands like Pentair.

Thanks for the response. I don't have any idea how to choose the pool filter type, other than that I'd like it to be the best filtering...

The pool-school article you cited doesn't really mention pros & cons of each filter, but rather instructs one in how to clean them. Is there a good place I can see pros & cons, or can someone here tell me?

The Pentair warranty point is a good one. I'll ask my builder about that.

Also, thanks for the info on automation & SWG. That said, I see in your sig that you are going with Hayward Pro Logic & SWG. Why is it that you chose that rather than Pentair?

I had a Hayward SWG at previous house and happen to already have a new Hayward cell sitting in my house ... just nothing to power it with. So that is why I was going with Hayward. Would cost me more to sell the cell and buy a whole other system.

I have no desire for remotes or integration into home systems, but recall some thread where it sounded like this was much easier to do with other systems (although honestly I can not recall if it was Pentair ... I think Pentair made it much easier to integrate into iphones / etc while Hayward did not have anything like that). Some people are rigging up their own web link from the automation system to home systems, so you can search for that info on the forums if you like.

Found a good link:
pool-school/pool_filter_comparison
Honestly I think cartridge might be the easiest to get large enough.

Read the rest of Pool School (button at upper right of page) There is a whole section on construction and equipment.

For 44k gallons we would recommend as minimums:
650 sqft cartridge
8.2 sqft sand
125 sqft DE

I am not sure your can find any of those in residential products. Since your season is likely shorter though, you can likely get by with smaller, you will just have to clean it more often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.