Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borate safety

1. Back To Top    #1
    Southeast Wisconsin

Borate safety

I have found every word printed on this great site about Borates and searched information elsewhere, but still can't get myself to pull the trigger and add them. Do we know they are safe?
    13,300G fiberglass inground pool, 16x33ft Viking Lakeshore
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump
    Pentair TA100 sand filter with Zeobrite
    Pentair UltraTemp heat pump, IntelliChlor SWG
    Test kit: Taylor K-2006C

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Borate safety

Not everyone uses borates. I don't.

If you keep everything in balance, your pool can still be sparkling without them.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Borate safety

Some more info on borates safety (with links to some of the same references in the earlier post above) is in Are Borates Safe to Use?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"