Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1

I have a 20,000 gallon pool with no chlorine how many gallons of bleach do I put in ?

2. Back To Top    #2

Warner Robins, GA

Re: Bleach?

Please use

In addtion please read Pool School at the top right of the Forum to understand the relationship of FC (Free Chlorine) and Stablizer (CYA).

All of these factors are used to determine the proper levels of chemicals you need to provide proper sanitization of your pool.

its very easy and we are here to help!
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

the problem is I don't understand what all that stands for

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Quote Originally Posted by ladyflamez
    the problem is I don't understand what all that stands for
    That's why we have

It only seems overwhelming for a little while.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!

If you start reading at the top of Pool School, all the terminology is explained and you should quickly get up to speed.

I am sure you can understand that we are entering the busy season for the forum, and any learning you can do using all the previous documentation is greatly appreciated.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6
    North Georgia

As much as i would like to give you an amount, I can't give you an accurate amount until you provide the following information....

Accurate test results for the following chemical levels in your can read about them here pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Free Chlorine
    Combined Chlorine
    Total Alkalinity
    Cyanuric Acid

An indication of how you currently maintain the chlorine levels in your pool. If you've no idea read here pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

Maybe explain why you have no chlorine.

I also need to understand what your water currently looks like. Is it clear? Is it green? Is it cloudy?

It would be nice to know what type of filter you have and a little about your current maintenance.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

7. Back To Top    #7

Southaven, MS

It is a bit overwhelming at first, but read through it a time or two and it will make sense... Took me a few to get acclimated to it, but now I get it. Get the numbers and these guys can point you in the right direction.
    - Brandon.
    27,300 gallon in-ground Gunite pool
    1.95hp AC Smith pump
    150 gpm Hayward cartridge filter
    3 Volkswagens and a 73 Plymouth.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, ladyflamez

A great place to start is:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.