Please Help

Well just add one scoop using the little blue scoop. If the sample does not turn and stay pink add another scoop. You only need enough to have a nice pink to start with.

You can't add too much powder, but you can have too little. The higher the FC, the more powder you need.

Here are more detailed instructions for the tests:
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

Yup, that box has the OTO chlorine test and your pH test.

The OTO test is a sure fire way to see if there is chlorine in the water. If it is clear, you have no chlorine, if it is dark orange/brown, then you FC is high and you need to use more powder to make the FAS-DPD test stay pink to start.

ok so the Cl is very odd, the liquid drops put into the water won't blend, basically i can see an orange color just floating in the water, no dissolving, no solid color just floating around in there. Also the initial color of my ph was 7.5 but the longer it sits in there the darker it gets. am i suppose to go off the initial color or is the darker color accurate?

i shook and then i shook some more and then i shook some more and then when i just dumped it out a minute ago it left a thin orange residue on some of the walls of the test block. I will note that when i was taking my sample to the pool store they said that when they tested for the chlorine that there would be a color and then it would disappear and thought that was strange. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there any chance you have the bottles reversed in the OTO kit? Your orange color might suggest a low pH assuming you were putting it in the right hand side of the device. Yellow drops go in the left side Cl test chamber and the red drops go into the right sided pH chamber.

Well, I am thinking that your FC is just really high and you had not added enough powder yet. But, if 3 does not make it stay pink, I would not add more.

Not sure if the separation in the OTO is due to something else or not though.

mhein006 said:
I'm positive I did it right I mean I did it twice just to make sure

oh I'm sure you did... but just needed to rule out that other possibility. So I wonder if your CL is actually really high? Someone more experienced than I will pipe in here I'm sure. The oily-ness of the fluid is kinda odd to me too though.

well when i was taking it to the pool store to get it tested the person there said the chlorine would show a color for a second and then it would disappear real fast and i dont know if that means that it was almost a one or what that means, i mean he said he had never seen it do that before

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.