Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with layout please

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with layout please

Looking to get our backyard done and need to find some software that's good and can maybe do 3D for free and is easy to use.

Looking to draw this up and then modify to tweak.

Would appreciate all comments and suggestions on what to do / change
    16'x34' Inground Vinyl Pool. 65,500L. Hayward S244T2 24” Sand Filter. Hayward 1hp Super Pump. Raypak PR266 EN 266,000 btu,. AquaRite SWCG. Aqualamp LED 2 w/ remote

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with layout please

you can try google sketchup.
    McKinney, TX
    Pool build in progress, 14.8K gallons, OK flagstone copping (sealed), IG Gunite/Pebblesheen (Blue Granite), Pentair intelliflow 3050 vs - svrs, Pentair IC20 Salt-Gen, 60 sq ft Pentair DE filter, 400k BTU Pentair (NG) heater, Polaris 280 with Booster, Dual Time Clocks with freeze protect feature, Pool (1) 500w (1) 100W Spa (1) 100w lights, (2) Skimmers, 4 Pool Returns, 6 Spa Jets, water features incl (3) 12” scuppers on 12” x 31’ raised beam, (2) Gushers on tanning ledge, and double cut spa spillway. controlled by easytouch 8
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...t56120-40.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Finding it hard to use sketchup to draw something similar to scale..

Any other suggestions?

Any feedback on the plan itself?
    16'x34' Inground Vinyl Pool. 65,500L. Hayward S244T2 24” Sand Filter. Hayward 1hp Super Pump. Raypak PR266 EN 266,000 btu,. AquaRite SWCG. Aqualamp LED 2 w/ remote

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't have any suggestions on a drafting program, but in looking at the design I notice a few things. It appears that the only way to go from the House to the pool is to walk around the tabel with the 6 chairs - that might become a bottleneck and you might want more of a direct route to the pool, especially if you have kids. Also, you might want a path from the firepit area to the pool instead of having to walk around. Hard to tell if there is one through the narrow landscaping section or not. If you have kids like mine, they will make their own path through there if you do not provide one.

Looks good!
    20,000 IG WetEdge Satin Matrix Northshore Plum, Filled 8/24/12

5. Back To Top    #5

For anyone with a long lot (ours is 50' x 240'), where would you put the pool? At the back of the lot? Closer to the house? Anyone have any pics that show such a setup??

Thanks!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

From the BBB for Beginners thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaf77
    Quote Originally Posted by linen
    So what do I need to do when its done? Start using BBB? Or?
    If it is vinyl or fiberglass start right away using the methods taught on this site. If it is plaster, check with your builder to see who is responsible and what type of start-up will be used.
    It will be a vinyl pool.. Still figuring out design and where to have it on a 50'x240' lot.. Closer to the house or at the back?
    I would want it closer to the house, especially if that is where the bathroom is. Another factor I would look at is where will you have the most privacy...unless you have no neighbors or roads around.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm a closer to the house guy, but each situation is different. I'd turn it long ways with the lot to leave a passing area on one or both sides.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

For anyone with a long lot (ours is 50' x 240'), where would you put the pool? At the back of the lot? Closer to the house? Anyone have any pics that show such a setup??

Thanks!!!
    Frankly, I'd fall in with the "closer to the house" camp. I like to see more of the pool from the house, and I can't really see any direct path to the pool from the house or patio. It's a pretty design for the landscaping, but not sure it's that practical for the pool itself. Now, if you haven't got any children, then it's probably not an issue, but still. I'd do more of the furniture/landscaping on the side, or toward the back of the lot, and pull the pool itself closer to the house.
    45'6" x 19' x 26' gunite pool, 43,000 gallons! 3/25/2013 renovation: Arizona Buckskin flagstone coping, NPT Verona Borba Turquoise tile & deco tile, Jules Bright Blue glass trim tile, Altima Premium Plaster in Teal, Pentair Whisperflow 2.0hp Filter Pump, Pentair 60 sq ft DE Filter with Multiport Valve. Polaris automatic cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the suggestions. We have a swale halfway through our lot and that is causing a lot of headaches with the planning. Also have two big silver maple trees.

I'll take come pics and post them and that way maybe generate some more help and ideas.

10. Back To Top    #10

Just went out and took some pics...

This is from the back (end of the lot) Our house is the 2nd from the right

Side view of the swale

Pic from kitchen door facing the back. Both trees are in our lot.

11. Back To Top    #11

That is a pretty big swale. How far from the house to where that swale drops off?

My first glance still says go towards the house and stay away from the swale and trees.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12
    Vernon, BC Canada - Pool is in Maricopa AZ (currently a holiday place)

I would put it close to the house, landscaping/fencing etc. is expensive and the closer to the house the less pressure to develop your lot. It is also really nice to sit around the pool instead of gazing at it in the distance.

I would also consider putting it perpendicular to the house so you don't cut off the back of your lot and it will make it easier to plant trees etc down the one side for privacy. Just my 2 cents
    Inground 12500 gallon 96 foot perimeter, 24 by 24 pool (6 by 24 of which is a "wet deck" or tanning ledge), intellibrite in spa and pool, 2 pentair LED bubblers in tanning ledge, built in table in pool, spillover spa, pebble radiance, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater, Blue Square Q360 infloor cleaner, VS2050 pump, auto leveler, Pentair easytouch 4 with wireless controller, Pentair 420 filter, custom natural gas firepit with cobalt glass.

13. Back To Top    #13

I can't recommend a free program sadly. My landscaper used a program called Vectorworks which produced a really great plan. It is very advantageous to have a bill of materials so that installers can all quote on the same list.

14. Back To Top    #14

Wow, that is a REALLY long lot. Yes, now I say DEFINITELY put the pool closer to the house. Otherwise it's going to be like hiking to get to it! Waaaaay out there in the distance....is our pool...

You're going to put up fencing too I assume? Do the neighbors get to contribute half of the cost of the fence? Around here it usually goes 60/40 - the 40% person gets the rail side.
    45'6" x 19' x 26' gunite pool, 43,000 gallons! 3/25/2013 renovation: Arizona Buckskin flagstone coping, NPT Verona Borba Turquoise tile & deco tile, Jules Bright Blue glass trim tile, Altima Premium Plaster in Teal, Pentair Whisperflow 2.0hp Filter Pump, Pentair 60 sq ft DE Filter with Multiport Valve. Polaris automatic cleaner.

15. Back To Top    #15

The swale is about 20' wide. Added layout of back with dimensions.

We will have to have a fence all around the lot as well as one across the pool.The by laws in Toronto require that the pool be fenced on all 4 sides.

16. Back To Top    #16

Is that a pergola and outdoor kitchen at the back of the lot? If so I would recommend the grill/kitchen be closer to the house unless you have a fridge/freezer in your plans?
    30' x 17' 14,000 Gallon Play Pool, Aqua Splash Beadcrete Interior, Hayward C7030 Filter, Hayward SP3400VSP Variable Speed Pump, Hayward Turbo-Cell 15 Salt Cell, Baja Shelf w/Periscopic Bubbler, 3 Scupper Water Feature, Paramount In-Floor Cleaning, Aqua Logic PS8 w/Aqua Pod Wireless Controller, TF-100 Test Kit, DM2000 Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker!!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Slippery when wet
    Is that a pergola and outdoor kitchen at the back of the lot? If so I would recommend the grill/kitchen be closer to the house unless you have a fridge/freezer in your plans?

No. The BBQ Island will be at the patio area close to the house. Still deciding if it should go at either one of the spots highlighted below.

The more we look at the original pic of the plan, the more we start to think that maybe that's the best option. The swale and the trees are limiting how far back we go. If we do use the initial drawing, what changes should we make?

Is there too much stone?

Is it functional?

How would we access the back half of the lot since we have to have a fence on all 4 sides of the pool (we'll use 3 sides as the extrior wooden fence and then have a wrought iron fence with a gate between the pool and house...)

18. Back To Top    #18

Can you cut the trees down? I see what you mean, the front part of the lot is smaller than the back half. If you're going large, that is your best option. How often does water flow down that swale?

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjackieflash
    Can you cut the trees down? I see what you mean, the front part of the lot is smaller than the back half. If you're going large, that is your best option. How often does water flow down that swale?

I guess there is an option of cutting down maybe the first tree.

But what about the swale?

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jumpinjackieflash

I guess there is an option of cutting down maybe the first tree.

But what about the swale?
    Well if it's a drainage feature that runs through all the yards, you can't block it, can you...How does your plan allow for it when it's full of water? How often does that happen in the summer? Or the winter for that matter.

At our previous house, we had a swale between us and our neighbor that drained both yards very nicely. We went on vacation for 3 weeks - they decided to construct a deck on that side of their house. They blocked the swale, I guess with the concrete they put their deck posts into, and blocked the front where it used to drain out to the street. The first time it rained, our side flooded with all the water from THEIR yard. I was livid. We ended up having to install a drain out to the street when we built the pool.

At least then, their yard flooded and ours didn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast