Caretaker 99 in floor pool cleaning system giving me issues

Re: Caretaker 99 in floor pool cleaning system giving me iss

What Mark said.

Do you not have floor jets in the spa? My previous house had it where one of the zones was the spa, so it would only spill over when that zone was running.

Here's two photos of the parts.

The photo that doesn't show the pump shows the caretaker dome, the chlorinator and the actuator that is flipped to go into spa mode. There is also another actuator that can close off the caretaker.

I'm still pretty new to this stuff so that's my understanding of the equipment.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 96
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 93

A couple of followups:

Last picture, manual valve to the left of the actuator, where the pipe opposite the dome go?

The small pipe and valve setup underneath the actuator valve, that is the spa make up. It is currently open. Turn the blue nob 90 degrees and see if that makes any difference or at least turns off the spa 100%.

I'm not 100% sure where the opposite pipe goes from the dome. I do have two wall jets in the pool that don't have anything coming out of them. My guess would be that is where that goes.

As for the blue nob, when I turn that 90 degrees it does shut the spa off and it increases the pressure 2-4 psi on the caretaker dome.

I have a lot of heads on some of the stages. The first one has 8 low-flow heads (which struggles).

One thought I had was to get more low-flow inserts and add them to the struggling stage as it might force the heads to pop-up more. Has anyone done this?

Lots of interesting plumbing there ...

Is there another black valve next to the blue ball valve that Mark pointed out as the spa overflow?

I am guessing that the 3-way valve before the caretaker selects between the floor and some wall returns? Not sure I can think of what the loop with the check valve is for.

It is quite possible that this system had worked this way for the previous owner. There is still a lot, too much IMHO, head loss between the filter and the dome but that could be normal too given there is a lot of plumbing between the filter and the dome. The bottom line is 30 PSI is a lot of head loss (~70') and that alone will reduce the flow rate considerably even with a 2 HP pump.

I am running out of ideas but I would like know what the filter pressure reads when in full spa mode.

It looks like shutting that blue valve (the overflow) has given enough extra pressure to most of the heads. They all appear to be popping up further and cycling. The pressure is pretty much the same on the filter with the pool in spa mode. What psi should the filter be at if you think 30 is too high? I am realizing now that it was at 25 psi right after being taken apart completely and cleaned.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I would recommend another cleaning per TFP recommendations in pool school. Make sure you soak the grids. And yes, 25 PSI would be more reasonable.

I would take it apart and deep clean the grids (i.e. spray them done until all dirt is gone).

Well you could try back washing first and see if that lowers the pressure back to 25 PSI. But I am just thinking that maybe the grids weren't cleaned well enough last time.

Ok I'll try that. I had a pool guy come over and clean it out. I watched so I can do it now. So I'm thinking the backwash should work. I'll update once I do that.

Thanks for all the help

How long are you backwashing?

The filter should go back to it's clean pressure which was 25 PSI.

Also, when adding DE after a backwash, are you following the manufactures recommendations?

If you don't have enough DE, then grids may have clogged up which would require dis-assembly and cleaning. If you put too much DE in the filter, it can clog it as well.

I backwashed for 60 seconds, flipped it back onto filter for a couple seconds, and repeated this in 30 second, 15 seconds, 10 probably about 8 times. The pressure never got below 30 with all the DE blown out and the water coming out clear.

Sounds like time to break it down and do a thorough cleaning and soaking.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.