Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those in the North, when do you open?

1. Back To Top    #1

For those in the North, when do you open?

I'd guess the sooner you open the better the chances of opening to clear water, but is there a rule of thumb temperature? My pool is a frozen block of ice right now so opening seems so far off.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: For those in the North, when do you open?

Opened June 10th and closed on September 10th last year...but did not have a pool that we could leave up. Upgrading and getting a heater this year to extend the season...
    18 x 54 Sharkline Matrix pool. 7800 gallons.
    Pentair Optiflo 1 1/2 HP 2 speed pump
    Pentair Clean and Clear 150 Sq Ft cartridge filter
    Hayward H100ID Heater. Purchased all from Poolsupplyworld. TF-100 TEST KIT

3. Back To Top    #3

I was opening in April, depending on how April treated us *weather wise*. I would never swim but the kids had jumped in a time or 2. I'm getting a new pool this year and I will probably wait til May to open because it's just my husband and I now and we won't be swimming in the early part of May but I like it open to keep it clean.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

We usually open the 3rd week of April - by then it gets tiresome trying to keep the rainwater drained from the cover so we open just to enjoy the Caribbean color and sparkling water. Once the temps get consistently warmer then we turn on the heater and cover with a solar cover. Can't wait!!
    Summer: 19 x 37 Pacific Graphex IG modified oval, aztec marine vinyl liner, 24,000 gal, 3.5 feet to 8 feet, 1 hp Hayward C4025 Swim Clear 4-cartridge filter, 12.5% Liquid Pool Shock for sanitizing, 1 super wide mouth skimmer, 4 returns (2 therapy jets in steps), Hayward Heat Pro heat pump, non-curved pool slide, 6' jump board, 8 ml blue solar cover, TF-100 test kit, had pink algae in 2010 Winter: Hot Springs Vista Spa, 500 gallons.

5. Back To Top    #5

May, after the "helicopters fall" Mapple trees.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

6. Back To Top    #6

Usually in May when maintaining the cover water is too much of a pain, but we usually aren't swimming until mid june.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

Usually sometime in May here...sometimes we even have some cold water swimmers

EDIT: I should add...if it wasn't for the solar panels, I might not open until June up here, since our nights are still pretty cool at that point.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

I also have to wait until all the "helicopters" are off the trees. I am usually cleaning them up by the several wheelbarrows full.
    Installed Sept 2008. 18 x 36 Flatback Kidney Radiant, Vinyl liner 25,000 inground, Hayward Max-Flo 1 HP Pool Pump SP2807X10 (runs 24/7) , Hayward Pro-Series High Rate Sand Filter Model #S244T, Hayward Heat Pro, Frog chlorinator is turned off, TF-100 Test kit

Location is Toronto, Ohio, overlooking the Mighty Ohio River. My river days are done. Sold the boat and Waverunner and now prefer a pool over the river.

9. Back To Top    #9

Since this is the first time opening, I guess I wanted to make sure that I didn't wait too long and open to anything but clear water... which I have always had thanks to finding this site shortly after I inherited a pool and before I started following the bad advice I initially received. And looking out and seeing the water is so much nicer than the covered pool! I think I'll plan on opening in May and cross fingers that I open to clear water, thanks!
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

10. Back To Top    #10

Last year it was really warm and I opened on March 27th (when my water temp hit 60).

The 27th is two and a half weeks away, I'm sure there is no chance of opening that early this year. It will be mid April for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls234
    I guess I wanted to make sure that I didn't wait too long and open to anything but clear water...
    Last year around this time I was checking my water temp, I went fishing with a thermometer almost daily until the water hit 60.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]