Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool filled with well water- ph is 6.8- why so low?

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool filled with well water- ph is 6.8- why so low?

this is a new pool. finished filling it last monday - took 4 days using well water. initial test results were
    FC - 0
    TC - 0
    pH - 6.8
    TA - 40
    CH - 50
    CYA - ?

we drink the well water, its clear, and tasteless, quite good.
    am wondering why the ph is so low at 6.8. any ideas?

today i'm going to be conservative- and add 1 kilo of CYA acid- granulated- just to get in a bit until i can test for it,
    and 1 kilo of soda ash- to see how it affects the levels i can measure thus far.

so far have only added 900gms of granulated chloro on 4 separate nights- it's 70% fc.
    i bought some more chems today at last. cya, granulated chloro, and soda ash.
    still looking for the others.
    can only find bicarb in the super- 100 gram bags- quite useless i fear.

can't find a decent test kit -will have to keep looking.
    when i ask for a test for CYA they all say NOPE don't have one, and you don't need it anyways. lol go figure.
    i see its going to be a problem here in costa rica, who would have thought-with so many pools here
    any ideas - if pools supply stores don't carry them, what other industry might i try?

at least the water is still nice and clear-hoping itdoesn't get too far ahead of me.
    concrete pool tiled walls- painted floor, 12m x 6m - 20,000USG. [/b]Hayward sp1592[/b] 1 HP - Hayward S180T Sand filter-35GPM 150lbs sand
    INLINE hayward CHLORINATOR w/tablets, Trying to use BBB Method
    pool is in Costa Rica - average daily temperature is 26 degrees C or 78-80 degrees F

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pool filled with well water- ph is 6.8- why so low?

What are you currently using to get your test results?

Based on the % give, sounds like the chlorine you are using is cal-hypo which will raise your calcium (CH) level ... just be aware.

Also note that the CYA is acidic and can also contribute to lowering the pH.

I know there are 3rd party companies that can ship test kits from the US to you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You might consider aerating the pool water to create bubbles. Doing this will cause the pH to rise. One way to do this is to aim a return upward where the water breaks the surface a bit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by halifaxblue
    we drink the well water, its clear, and tasteless, quite good.
    am wondering why the ph is so low at 6.8. any ideas?
    The EPA recommends drinking water ph to be between 6.5-8.5 and the WHO states that typical drinking water has a ph range from 6.5-9.5...so your 6.8 is fine as it is just slightly acidic (ph of 7 is neutral), and much less than your stomach's ph which can range from 1.0-5.0. By the way, orange juice ph is ~3.5.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Someone smarter than I just let me know that your TA really needs to be higher for aeration to do much. If you can find some baking soda, you can use it to get your TA up and that would probably help things a good deal.

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks for all the good tips and info.
    i have a drop based kit for ph and chloro, and a strip for the others, still looking for something better.
    concrete pool tiled walls- painted floor, 12m x 6m - 20,000USG. [/b]Hayward sp1592[/b] 1 HP - Hayward S180T Sand filter-35GPM 150lbs sand
    INLINE hayward CHLORINATOR w/tablets, Trying to use BBB Method
    pool is in Costa Rica - average daily temperature is 26 degrees C or 78-80 degrees F

7. Back To Top    #7

http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...kit_comparison

Most likely you won't be able to find the FAS-DPD test locally.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    Someone smarter than I just let me know that your TA really needs to be higher for aeration to do much. If you can find some baking soda, you can use it to get your TA up and that would probably help things a good deal.
    Is there any reason not to use both baking soda to raise TA and borax to raise pH?

Sent via Tapatalk...
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump